Thanks for the response. I had a 1983 urban express once. Very cool
looking scooter but rode like crap. Got a fair amount of carb bench
time with that one.
Anything special with the gas tank cleaning? Never had to do more
than drain them before. This one still has gas in it so I'm not sure
what the condiion is. The gas cap has a fair amount of corrosion on
the inside.
On Jul 10, 2011, at 8:06 AM, Michael Swan wrote:
> Sounds like a great project. Seems like you should be able to
> handle any problems that crop up. If it looks in good shape that
> usually indicates decent mechanicals and perhaps that it was well
> maintained. I would guess a good cleaning of the carb would be in
> order and not replacement. Ditto for the gas tank. I just restored
> an old Honda Express noped and found a wealth of info and parts are
> available and I think there is even more out there for these
> Hondas. As for crazy, doubt it. You might find a locksmith to make
> a key or might be cheaper to buy a new switch. your call.
> Michael
>
> -- On Sat, 7/9/11, sammyboy918 <beaubm01@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> From: sammyboy918 <beaubm01@gmail.com>
> Subject: [Honda-C70] 1970 C70 - Virgin
> To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Saturday, July 9, 2011, 7:30 PM
>
>
>
> It was great to find this site. I just purchased a 1970 green and
> white passport. First one. Hasn't been started in 10 years.
>
> I have had a number of 50cc scooters including a 1978 vespa piagio,
> a 1964 Benelli, a 2000 zuma, a Batvia, aTwist n Go, two shamelesly
> cheap chinese scooters...you get the drift. I've also owned 6
> different harleys but gave them up as I just can't ride enough to
> make them worth the while.
>
> That being all said, this is a cool project for me. Does not run,
> doesn't even have a key, but is in really good physical shape for
> its age. My goal will be to bring it back to life as a way to keep
> myself in the garage as a decompressor for my work in healthcare.
> I'm not much of a real mechanic, bit I'm a damn good tinkerer and
> researcher so this should be fun since I'm in no hurry.
>
> 1st issues for this scoot are to drain all fluids and replace. The
> carb will need to be replaced or rebuilt. Recommendations?
> Particularly for the inexperienced?
>
> Gas tank will be drained and inspected for rust. A new 6 volt
> battery is needed. I also need a key. The bike didn't come with one.
> Does Honda produce them off the VIN? Should I just replace the
> ignition?
>
> Ultimately I'd like to keep this as original as possible (all old
> bike owners fantasy).
>
> My final plan will be to figure out how to mount this to a rickshaw.
> Interesting huh? given the sidecar discussions......
>
> Please advise if I'm crazy...
>
> Mike
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)
1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c
More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
No comments:
Post a Comment