yesterday with the idea of replacing the (one and only?) spark plug. for
the price it costs, i will certainly heed the advice.
On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 5:16 PM, myron andrews <mvandrews13@hotmail.com>wrote:
>
> Try cleaning the vents in the gas cap . A partly blocked vent in the cap
> can lead to stalling as not enough air enters the tank to let gas flow out
> to the carb. Also the previous owner that said to" never use reserve unless
> you have to" was just inviting sediment to collect in the reserve fuel line
> & bottom of the tank to plug the carb when you have the least fuel to fill
> the float bowl. I use Sea Foam carb cleaner is a once every 8 or 10 tanks
> preventive cleaner . And as a dip cleaner for jets . Milk bottle cap with
> cleaner & both jets = cheap dip clean , half way clean at best though.
> Good Luck ! Baby Huey
>
>
> > To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com
> > From: painfrancais@gmail.com
> > Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:46:07 -0400
> > Subject: Re: [Honda-C70] Re: Return of the Red '81
> >
> > Buddy,
> >
> > Upon a closer look at the lever, I certainly DID see the arrow and the
> word
> > fuel. Your e-mail led me to look closer. Thanks. The guy I bought the
> bike
> > from really knows his motorcycles, etc. having owned, worked on, ridden
> > several. His comment was that is advisable to not use the reserve portion
> > (unless you need to to not be stranded on a far-away road!) at all
> because
> > that is where the 'debris' will be, kind of like the sediment in a bottle
> of
> > wine. So,...my main concern when I wrote a week ago was that the bike was
> > running poorly (misfiring, backfiring etc.) sometimes. I feared that it
> was
> > due to operator error re: the on/off fuel valve confusion with me
> toggling
> > back and forth. Now that I have eliminated that confusion, my buddy Jim
> (a
> > bike owner and experienced person) asked how old the fuel was and I had
> to
> > admit I was not sure. He recommended a good dose of fresh fuel and the
> > addition of Sta-bil. I had read of this product on the this cool Honda
> chat
> > system we have. I added a half tank of new fuel and an ounce or so of
> > Sta-bil. I am not sure if it has helped or not. I've got out twice since
> > then to discover smooth idling and some success at cranking through 1st,
> 2nd
> > with plenty of success but still being plagued with sudden 'drop-off'
> > whereupon stalling often occurs and rpm's cannot be resurrected. I'm
> > awaiting Jim's test drive. He wanted to wait to see what the
> fuel/additive
> > would produce. Any suggestions?
> >
> > Suzanne
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 11:05 AM, bioux1 <buddy@bioux.us> wrote:
> >
> > > **
> > >
> > >
> > > Suzanne,
> > > also a cool story.
> > > the fuel valve has 3 positions. ON, OFF, and Reserve.
> > > In the Off position no fuel flows. In the Reserve position fuel flows
> from
> > > the bottom of the tank. In the ON position fuel flows from a higher
> point in
> > > the tank. During normal operation put the dial in the ON position
> (lever
> > > down, arrow up). Drawing fuel from the higher point in the tank
> functions as
> > > a crude gas guage in that once your engine stops due to absencs of
> fuel,
> > > there is still some in the tank that can be accessed by turning the
> valve to
> > > Reserve position (lever up, arrow down) thus drawing from the bottom of
> the
> > > tank and allowing you time to get some gas. OFF position (arrow and
> lever
> > > sideways) is used when the bike is not inuse.
> > > Hope this helps,
> > > Buddy
> > >
> > > --- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, suzanne murray <painfrancais@...>
> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > eight hundred
> > > >
> > > > On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 7:08 PM, linda.marek <linda.marek@...>
> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > **
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > May I ask what you paid for it? I may be selling my 1983 Honda
> Passport
> > > -
> > > > > just for a bigger bike.
> > > > >
> > > > > --- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, suzanne murray <painfrancais@>
> > > wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Bijoux,
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Good story! Memorial Day weekend, my friend and I were driving
> down
> > > the
> > > > > > road and I looked out the window and said: "I gotta turn around
> and
> > > get a
> > > > > > look at that." It was my new '81 Passport. I just retired from 18
> > > years
> > > > > of
> > > > > > teaching French in a h.s. and am now starting a business making /
> > > selling
> > > > > > baguettes. The Passport is intended to be the delivery vehicle
> after
> > > I
> > > > > > outfit it with 2 proper baskets large enough for a nice sized
> batch
> > > of
> > > > > > baguettes to drive through the neighborhood with. I won't even
> get a
> > > > > > license plate for it. This way I will keep my personal promise to
> now
> > > be
> > > > > > 'on the road' inviting the types of danger I experienced years
> ago
> > > when I
> > > > > > fancied myself a real biker. Today I went on-line to buy a manual
> > > from
> > > > > > Haynes (sp?) as someone will need one doubt, as 'we' try to
> figure
> > > out
> > > > > all
> > > > > > it may need from season to season. It is darling! For the moment,
> > > here is
> > > > > > a question I'll bet you can answer: to have the valve for the gas
> in
> > > the
> > > > > > 'on' position, do I need to have the 'stem' of the valve pointing
> > > > > downward /
> > > > > > 6'oclock? which leaves the 'nub' / non-arrowlike end of the
> inch-long
> > > > > metal
> > > > > > piece facing upward near the word 'on'?
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Anything you tell me will help as I await my new manual. The few
> > > times
> > > > > I've
> > > > > > driven it, it has been either fine after regulating the choke /
> > > getting
> > > > > > through the gears and gaining speed, or else it has been a bitch
> with
> > > > > > 'missing / backfiring' and the like. Please asure me all will be
> > > well.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > suzanne
> > > > > >
> > > > > > On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 2:10 PM, bioux1 <buddy@> wrote:
> > > > > >
> > > > > > > **
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Back in 1981 I purchased, new , from Garret Honda in Kenner, LA
> a
> > > red
> > > > > Honda
> > > > > > > C70 Passport. It cost me $850+TT&L then another $58 for
> insurance.
> > > > > After
> > > > > > > much joy, fun, and two seasons in the sun I traded it for a
> 1973
> > > > > Oldsmobile
> > > > > > > Cutlass. At that time of my life, late teens, this was clearly
> THE
> > > > > thing to
> > > > > > > do. Or so I thought. The transmission and engine in the Olds
> blew
> > > out
> > > > > in a
> > > > > > > year.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > That was then, this is now.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > About two years ago I was at the Algiers annual garage sale and
> > > > > stumbled
> > > > > > > upon a blue 1980 Honda Passport, not for sale, but the owner
> said
> > > he
> > > > > might
> > > > > > > entertain the right offer. I let it go but the idea of owning a
> > > scooter
> > > > > > > stewed for some time. I began to research scooters of today and
> > > found
> > > > > that I
> > > > > > > didn't like any of them. I hit Craig's list and eBay for a few
> > > months
> > > > > and
> > > > > > > discovered that I could get a good price on a used Honda C70
> > > Passport.
> > > > > About
> > > > > > > two weeks ago I found some, replied to ads and alas this past
> > > Saturday
> > > > > I
> > > > > > > drove to Plano, TX to pick up my red 1981 C70 Passport!
> > > > > > > She's home now licensed, registered, titled, and insured. Just
> have
> > > to
> > > > > work
> > > > > > > out the speedometer issue.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > Bioux
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > C70 Passport Not Running Right?
> > 1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
> > 1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
> > http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
> > 1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
> > 1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
> > http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
> > 1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
> > http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)
> >
> > 1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
> > 1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c
> >
> > More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
> > http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
> > http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.htmlYahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> C70 Passport Not Running Right?
> 1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
> 1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
> http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
> 1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
> 1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
> http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
> 1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
> http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)
>
> 1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
> 1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c
>
> More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
> http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
> http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.htmlYahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
------------------------------------
C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)
1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c
More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.htmlYahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Honda-C70/
<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional
<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Honda-C70/join
(Yahoo! ID required)
<*> To change settings via email:
Honda-C70-digest@yahoogroups.com
Honda-C70-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Honda-C70-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
No comments:
Post a Comment