Monday, June 27, 2011

Re: [Honda-C70] Slight clutch adjustment

 

Thanks Mike,

I have not even put 75 miles on it yet.  The dragging is minimal, so I will put a few hundred miles on it before I do anything.

Duke

--- On Mon, 6/27/11, Mike Gladu <mgladu@mindspring.com> wrote:

From: Mike Gladu <mgladu@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [Honda-C70] Slight clutch adjustment
To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, June 27, 2011, 9:45 AM

 

At 10:52 PM -0700 6/26/11, duke hem wrote:

>I recently had some work done on my ' 81 C70. New clutch plates

>included. Upon return, I found the idle too high. and the clutch

>grabs when I am idling in first gear. I turned down the idle to

>normal, but the clutch keeps grabbing just a little. I can feel and

>hear it grabbing in a pulsing sort of way. I do not believe the

>clutch needs a great deal of adjustment. My question is do I turn

>the clutch adjustment screw counter clockwise or clockwise to

>eliminate the clutch grab? Is the adjustment screw super sensitive?

>I am thinking that a slight turn counter clockwise is in the correct

>direction. Am I on the right track before I look for other causes?

>

>Duke

I would say what you have is a little bit of plate warpage or a

little bit or friction material puffiness caused by the new plates

soaking up more oil in one spot than around the whole friction disk

surface.

Pulsing could go away with a little use, or require a teardown to see

if the non-friction plates are warped.

The only reasons to change clutch adjustment is if there is too much

or too little free play.

Keep in mind that the C70 clutch acts different than a typical manual

clutch when at idle speed.

At idle there is a secondary spring function pushing against the main

clutch springs, holding the clutch plates "open" and the transmission

disengaged. When you rev up the engine to 1500-1800 rpm, weights

change the secondary spring position and the clutch plates are

allowed to grab under the power of the main set of four springs.

If you are rhythmically dragging at idle, no amount of clutch or idle

adjustment will do anything.

If it drags A LOT or ALL the time - there's something wrong.

If it is slipping - then you have too little free play. The clutch

plates are being held open slightly by the clutch center being in

contact with the manual clutch lifter all the time. Backing the

adjuster off a little at a time until you find no resistance is how

you get the lifter off the clutch hub.

Too much free play at the lifter and the clutch is activated LATE

when you shift. This can make the bike hard to shift, as the clutch

is performing as it should, but isn't necessarily fully releasing the

engine crank from the transmission with a full shift lever motion.

Pressure on the gears makes them hard to move together or apart with

normal force on the shifter. Bringing the free play into spec will

make shifting easier.

That make sense?

I would run the engine for a few hundred miles to even up the plate

surfaces (wear them in and soak up oil all the way round).

If there's no improvement - it's time for a tear-down and test of the

plate thickness and surface run-out.

Mike G.

-

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)

1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c

More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment