Monday, June 20, 2011

[Honda-C70] Re: Starter Button?

 

Thanks for all the great responses, everyone! I'm no mechanic, so I've opted to replace the battery first. It's a 1982 passport so I've ordered a sealed 12V battery from a site online to try to get the e-start going. I do get solenoid clicks and I do have trouble with the signals staying on and not blinking some times, so I'm sure the battery in the bike right now is nearly shot. I LOVE bump starting the little guy, but hills aren't common in the part of Florida where I live!

Thank you all again!
Mark

--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "rogueeve" <rogueeve@...> wrote:
>
>
> I almost always use the e-start on my C70. It's not uncommon for the starter to not work when you first get the bike but so far I've always been able to fix it. You didn't say whether the solenoid clicks and the starter doesn't turn, or the solenoid doesn't click at all when you push the button. Assuming a good battery and all, if you solenoid does not click, you probably have a flaky/corroded neutral switch. You can clean all contacts and replace the neutral switch, or you can add a small 5V relay behind the solenoid. Have the button trigger the relay, then the relay triggers the solenoid. OTOH, if your solenoid clicks reliably every time but the starter doesn't turn, your solenoid may need servicing. Use a spanner to jump across the contacts on the solenoid and manually trigger the starter. If it works well that way, then it's your solenoid. I seem to remember I opened one up one time and fixed it, or you can just replace it with a new one - there are Chinese copies available.
>
> If you don't know, the circuit is:
>
> * starter solenoid's +6V line has power all the time that key is on
> * ground wire of starter solenoid runs to start switch
> * the other side of start switch runs to neutral switch
> * neutral switch is grounded when transmission is in neutral
>
> Therefore in theory bike-in-neutral plus start-switch-down supplies ground to starter solenoid, tripping solenoid and sending +6V from battery directly to starter.
>
>
> --- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "cgtbrad" <rudypunk@> wrote:
> >
> > I'm of the opinion that it's really tricky to get the starter working properly - particularly on a 6V bike like mine.
> >
> > The trouble is voltage drop in old connectors and switches. A little voltage is lost going through old spade connectors, old key switch drops voltage, old neutral safety switch drops voltage, old starter button drops voltage. By the time all that voltage is dropped your 6.5ish volts is down around 4V and is not enough to trip the solenoid over. When my solenoid does occasionally work the starter is pretty nasty sounding...
> >
> > It's really easy to bump start my C70 even on the slightest hill. I'll kick it if the ground is really flat...
> >
> > --- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Durbin" <durbinrocks@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi everyone! I'm new to the group and to the C70, and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas why my starter button won't work. I know that I am in need of a new battery, and the previous owner of my little Passport suggested that the battery was to blame, but I thought I'd get a second opinion!
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > Mark
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)

1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c

More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment