Hello Charles,
See pages 29 -30 (sections 3-9 & 3-10) in the free 1980-81 Honda shop manual in the files section of this group. Actually, the whole manual is of interest:)
Those sections speak to the spark advancer, which you haven't mentioned, and doing a compression test, just to make sure your work is good. So if the advancer is stuck, when freed you will have to readjust your timing. So try that first.
Also the troubleshooting section page 168 and on.
Generally if things seem to be rich, then maybe air is too little, so clogged air filter, stuck on choke. Things like that.
My question is how do you adjust valve tappet lash with the head off? It seems that one would like to have the cam chain sprocket on and 'tugging' on the cam as in reality? Anyway, you probably did do it 'cold' as it should be done. But I would check again in a cold engine, (see page 26... for that)
People have already talked about spark plug cap, wire, etc.
Ron in NJ
--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, Charles Schlosshan <cayman2653@...> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the response William. I did remove the engine from the frame and completely disassembled it. Found the engine cases coated with burnt oil; the oil strainer was completely blocked. All was cleaned up good, a new clutch, drive gear, driven gear, throw out bearing, cylinder, piston and rings were installed. Valves were adjusted while the head was off, a new cam chain and tensioner parts were installed. The carb was cleaned prior to doing this work and actually the bike fairly well although it did bogg in the midrange and would not rev up.
> The engine was installed and the carb was removed during the work and rested on my work bench. The needle and slide remained on the cable but didnot get hit or damaged. The engine is making good electrical connection with the frame; all lights work now and the stator is putting out enough power to keep the battery charged. The electric starter actually works good now. I do agree with you on the ignition problem though. The spark plug end came off and the cable looked old and dry to me. I put the plug cap back on the cable but that may still be the problem. I have order a ignition cable splice kit from Beatrice cycle today and a new spark plug. I think the ignition coil is good according to the shop manual method of testing it. If this splice kit doesn't work then I will probably get whole new coil/cable assembly. The engine sounds exactly like a car engine that is running really retarded timing. It is trying to run faster but it
> just boggs down. I have moved the ignition timing around a lot but the results were negative. The cam is exactly on the mark with the flywheel pointer on the "T".  What do you think about the splice kit approach? Any other thoughts, I am basically stumped on this one.
>
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)
1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c
More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
No comments:
Post a Comment