Thursday, May 19, 2011

[Honda-C70] Re: Sprocket Question. 14 vs 15 Tooth...

 


For me, running the stock 14-tooth sprocket, it always seemed geared way too low. I hardly ever felt comfortable taking it much over 35-40 or so because the engine was just absolutely screaming by that point. So I don't really remember the top speed my bike went stock. But I can tell you that on my otherwise-stock '81 I've been running 17-36 gearing, and it will do 45 without too much effort, and hit 48 occasionally even 50 if given a long-enough flat run.

The change in shift points, engine rpms and just overall "feel" however was by far the biggest bonus of the gearing change for me, to me everything just seems to be working much better/healthier with the higher gearing and the feel of the bike is so much nicer. I do think it may be adding a little bit to the top end, but it's not a miraculous difference there, just a small boost.

BTW, at 17-36, the chain is just a little too short when it is brand new to fit on, so you need to add 2 links to it and make it a 420-98 instead of the stock 420-96. If the chain isn't brand new and has stretched slightly, 17-36 works just fine. If instead you run say 17-35, or 16-36, the stock chain should fit fine all the time.

--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "knytewolf1974" <knytewolf1974@...> wrote:
>
> I can tell you from my experience with the 3.0x17 on the back that it was pretty close, but I did have clearance for my center stand with that tire. How much of a MPH increase do you think I should see with a 15 or 17 tooth?
>
> Chris
>
> --- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "rogueeve" <rogueeve@> wrote:
> >
> >
> > I've ran as large as a DRP 17 tooth sprocket for years on both my C70's and love it. To me it seems to make it go a little bit faster. It definitely makes the motor sound a lot healthier when in the higher speeds, and probably improves gas mileage. It seems to me that it still has plenty of torque to get going - although it is slightly less as predicted - it is not a significant difference. I wouldn't hestitate to experiment with a higher gearing for your bike. I'm very interested in that the wider tires seem to have made your bike run faster -- I've been thinking of putting wider tires on my souped-up C70 for stability at higher speeds. I wonder how much clearance was there in the rear with the 3.0 x 17. I have a centerstand so that is my only hangup, being concerned that the wider tire might rub against the centerstand.
> >
> >
> > --- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "knytewolf1974" <knytewolf1974@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I just recently changed my tires on my 1983 Passport. I was running a 2.5x17 on the front and a 3.0x17 on the rear. I got a really good deal on Ebay for a set of tires and tubes. The new sizes I put on are a 2.25x17 on the front and a 2.5x17 on the rear. I have noticed, unfortunately, that my Passport, which used to get to about 46mph, will now only get to about 42mph top speed. I was thinking of changing the tires again, but I would hate to waste the money. As a suggestion, my friend told me I should put a front sprocket on with one more tooth than stock. I know the front stock gear is a 14 tooth. I have also located where to get a 15 tooth sprocket. Through my investigation, I have been told that by changing the front sprocket with one with one more tooth, that I will gain a little top speed at the cost of a little mid range torque. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Also, could anyone please tell me what I may expect to gain as far as top speed? I know it doesn't sound like much from 46-42mph, but if you look at it on the grand scale I have lost almost 10% of my top speed just by changing to a smaller tire.
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > >
> > > Chris
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)

1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c

More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment