Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Re: [Honda-C70] Re: steps to adjusting cam chain tensioner

 

Jill
Please bring us up to date on your Bike.
I thought it was a 1982 C70, which the Honda Shop manual says does not have an adjustable cam chain tensioner!!
It seems to have a long push rod pushing on the cam chain tension arm via a spring. It uses the spring to hold the push rod up
against the tensioner arm and thus tension the cam chain. As the cam chain tries to whip, oil in the cavity slows down the 
tesnsioner as it tries to go back down the cavity via a check valve in the push rod.
 
Now this  engine design has a bolt on the side of the engine just forward of the shift shaft. You take that bolt out, fill the
cavity with engine oil and put the bolt back. They say to make sure you use the correct length bolt because it can hit
the tensioner rod and jamb it. this is all called out in the 1980-81 Shop manual in the 82-83 ADDENDUM section 
20-15 & 16 and the  full discription on 20-27 section 14 technical features.
 
You could have the wrong length bolt installed stopping the push rod from working correctly.
Or you could have a dirty check valve in the end of the push rod, or it might be a simple as no oil in the cavity. 
 
I would remove the push rod and spring from the engine. Clean the check valve. 
Sorry I have not worked on my 1982's cam chain tensioner but if you need me too I can pull mine
and try to walk you thru it.
 
Pulling the push rod might tell us if the sealing bolt on the side of the engine is jambing the rod.
 
I would replace the seal on,the sealing bolt on the bottom of the engine and the "O" ring on the 6MM bolt on the
side of the engine and while doing so I think it would be best to get a new 6MM bolt of the correct P/N  
Bill
Portland OR

From: Jill <jillvee@yahoo.com>
To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 10:53 AM
Subject: [Honda-C70] Re: steps to adjusting cam chain tensioner

 
So the tighter the better?

--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "A" <ak6666666@...> wrote:
>
> O k . Thanks Baby Huey . So I'm thinking about new timing chain and clutch plate/s (I don't know if it's one or more plates). While I'm at it, I'll probably also get a new oil pump and oil filter. Ali Khan
>
> --- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, myron andrews <mvandrews13@> wrote:
> >
> >
> > Your clutch probably is not as strong as it was when you & the bike were younger . Mine pulled stronger when new also . Baby Huey
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com
> > From: ak6666666@
> > Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 03:50:31 +0000
> > Subject: [Honda-C70] Re: steps to adjusting cam chain tensioner
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Baby Huey I too followed your instructions. I screwed in the rod good 5-6 turns till it turned no further. This was done while the engine was running. I heard no change in engine noise. My conclusion is that my timing chain is too slack and cant be tightened by this rod.
> >
> > Back in '86 when it was new and I was 60 kg, my bike easily did wheelie in first gear. That feat is way out of the question now although Im little less than 100 kg. I suspect that my engine is just not giving the torque it did when new.
> >
> > So, should I screw in that rod all the way? Should I get a new timing chain?
> >
> > --- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, myron andrews <mvandrews13@> wrote:
> > >
> > >
> > > Jill . On my 81 it was in to tighten . Clock wise if you were laying on the ground looking up ,or counter clock wise if you are looking down on the motor from above. I don`t know if 82/83`s even have a slotted rod to turn as they are supposed to be fully automatic hydraulically adjusted . Good Luck ! Baby Huey
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com
> > > From: jillvee@
> > > Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 00:32:02 +0000
> > > Subject: [Honda-C70] Re: steps to adjusting cam chain tensioner
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Ok, i know how to adjust it now, but do i screw the adjusting bolt in or out to tighten it?
> > >
> > > --- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, myron andrews <mvandrews13@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Jill : No . The cap on the bottom of the motor is where you adjust by the instruction for your year bike ,82/83 addendum for you. Read pages 20-14 thru 20-16 & 20-27 until you understand what may need to be done. The only reason to removing the fly wheel to get at the cam chain adjuster should be if something is broken & needs to be replaced. If any of you 82/83 guys have done this share your knowledge . Mine is an 81 & not the same as the 82/83`s. Baby Huey
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com
> > > > From: jillvee@
> > > > Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 16:02:10 +0000
> > > > Subject: [Honda-C70] steps to adjusting cam chain tensioner
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > So I have to remove the flywheel and everything to get to the tensioner right? and then once i get to where i can work with tensioner, then how do i adjust it?
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)

1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c

More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment