To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com
From: gandalf@sonic.net
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 10:15:15 -0700
Subject: Re: [Honda-C70] Re: need new gas tank
That old gunk is probably an old tank coating like your considering putting on. I don't think I'd recommend any of the tank coatings. Clean the old tank well and keep gas in it and you should be fine.
(imagine a cute or dirty tagline here)
On Mon 08/08/11 9:23 AM , "Paul" paul_probus@yahoo.com sent:
> I have not de-rusted, yet, but I have been working on an old Free Spirit
> Moped with a tank that was all gunked up with evaporated fuel/oil. That
> gunk was coming off in sheets and yet there was still a lot left to keep
> clogging the fuel outlet (no "petcock" I jury rigged some plastic
> tubing to the fuel outlet and put a ball valve in). I eventually found,
> through experimentation, that brush cleaner worked about the best for
> removing the gunk. I found that much of the lower tank where the most gunk
> was built up had no rust under the gunk, but did flash rust after I drained
> out and washed out the tank after the brush cleaner.
> I will probably de-rust both that one and my C70 tank this winter and coat
> both with one of those two-part epoxy tank coatings. They seem to be more
> durable than the Kreem or other one step coatings.
> Paul
>
> --- In Hon
> da-C70@yahoogroups.com, "Jon"
> wrote:>
> > I did the electrolysis method. Works great! Gets
> tons of gunk out, but takes quite awhile. But if you don't coat it
> afterwards, it will just rust again. Happened to me. And this time the rust
> was in fine powder form. Turned all the gas orange and clogged the carb. I
> just let it pass and eventually it cycled out. There is now new rust in my
> tank and I figure, let well enough alone. When my tank was full of rust,
> the gas still came out clear - probably the rust was caked on so well.
> >
> > But for just rust removal, electrolysis works
> great! I used this guide here. >
> > http://www.altelco.net/~jacil/clay/motorcycle/KElecSetup.html>
> > After my failure at electrolysis, I tried this
> method http://www.rusteco.com/. It didn't work for me. No
> idea why, but I was very unsatisfied with it. Maybe I didn't do it right,
> who knows. >
> > I've heard that molasses is also good for rust
> removal, but never tried it.>
> > Actually, I recently lost a bid for a like new
> 81 C70 passport tank on ebay... So sad, but I wasn't about to fork over 90
> dollars either. Someone else did though. Check and recheck ebay frequently
> if you ever hope to find one - probably the only place online since the
> part is discontinued and most OEM online catalogs dont have it in stock.
> Also check Ebay UK, they also had cubs there. If you have a smartphone, the
> ebay app is a godsend. >
> > Good luck!
> >
> > -Jon
> >
> > --- In Hon
> da-C70@yahoogroups.com, "Jean Luc Picard"
> wrote:> >
> > > Electrolysis can clean the rust from the
> tank, but I'm not so sure about evaporated gas gum...> >
> > > --- In Hon
> da-C70@yahoogroups.com, Chris Bader wrote:> > >
> > > > Hi
> > > >
> > > > I mentioned the wrong product in
> earlier post. It was evapo-rust that was used for tank
> cleaning> > > and the Berryman's was for cleaning
> the carb. There are a number of different products and
> methods> > > used.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks,
> > > >
> > > > Chris
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> ________________________________> > > From: holdendr44
> > > > To: Hon
> da-C70@yahoogroups.com> > > Sent: Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:57
> PM> > > Subject: [Honda-C70] need new gas
> tank> > >
> > > >
> > > > Â
> > > > I need a new gas tank for a 1980 C70.
> It was my step-father's and has been in storage for 19 years. Would
> appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.> > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > [Non-text portions of this message
> have been removed]> > >
> > >
> >
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> C70 Passport Not Running Right?
> 1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
> http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page
> 101.jpg)1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
> http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page
> 170.jpg)1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
> http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page
> 205.jpg)
> 1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn61982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c
> More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
> http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htmhttp://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.htmlYahoo! Groups Links
> To visit your group on the web, go to:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Honda-C70/
> Your email settings:
> Individual Email | Traditional
>
> To change settings online go to:
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Honda-C70/join(Yahoo! ID required)
>
> To change settings via email:
> Honda-C70-digest@yahoogroups.com Honda-C70-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> Honda-C70-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>
>
>
>
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
------------------------------------
C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)
1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c
More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.htmlYahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Honda-C70/
<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional
<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Honda-C70/join
(Yahoo! ID required)
<*> To change settings via email:
Honda-C70-digest@yahoogroups.com
Honda-C70-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Honda-C70-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
No comments:
Post a Comment