To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com
From: wjbelleau@yahoo.com
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 07:59:16 -0700
Subject: Re: [Honda-C70] Chain Problems
OK
When you adjusted the chain did you loosen both nuts on the left side of the bike? (The axle nut and the drive sleeve nut.)
Then did you adjust the chain so you had 5/8 inch to 1 inch slack? AND most importand , did you check the chain adjuster
left and right to make sure the index mark's are at the same indents on the swing arm?
I would take the chain off the bike and inspect it, you might have a dirty or rusted chain joint. As the frozen joint
goes over a sproket it will bend then when it goes off the sproket it will remove the slack in the chain and cause all kinds of fun.
Bill
Portland OR
From: MarcRandall30 <marcrandall30@yahoo.com>
To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 7:20 AM
Subject: [Honda-C70] Chain Problems
Hello everyone!
I'm Marc Randall and last week I bought me and my wife a couple of C70s.
Mine is a 1980 model with 1800 miles and her's is an '82 with 500.
Both bikes run well but there are some minor issues that I'm working to fix.
The most current issue is this:
My bike (the 1980 model) when ridden, had a clicking noise coming from the chain guard (like the chain was rubbing on a bolt that was too long - or something like that) Last night I pulled the guard off, rode it around to make sure there weren't any kinks, sprayed lubricant on the chain and replaced the chain guard. I rolled it around the shop and that seemed to fix the problem. Then I went to ride on it (I'm 6' 2" and about 220 lbs). When I sat on the bike and moved it out onto the driveway I could hear the chain really rubbing on the inside.
I pulled everything off and adjusted the slack in the chain by tightening the adjustment nuts.
That seemed to help a little but now it clicks and then rubs for a bit, clicks and then rubs for a bit.
So can I'm assume that when I took up the slack in the chain I didn't quite make the same adjustment to the other side (meaning the adjustment nut that's on the right hand side of the bike on the rear wheel)?
If that's the case is there an easier way to adjust the chain to eliminate the clicking and rubbing without having to make a tension adjustment, put everything back together, ride it, and then repeat the process until it's fixed?
Sorry if this seems like an elementary question. I'm new to working on these things!
THANKS in advance! Any advice will help a great deal!!!
Marc Randall
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
------------------------------------
C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)
1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c
More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.htmlYahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Honda-C70/
<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional
<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Honda-C70/join
(Yahoo! ID required)
<*> To change settings via email:
Honda-C70-digest@yahoogroups.com
Honda-C70-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Honda-C70-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
No comments:
Post a Comment