Thursday, August 18, 2011

[Honda-C70] Re: what's a timing light?

 

I actually went to look to make sure that my timing was correct on my flywheel and cam sprocket, and it turns off that i was off by a tooth. I got it all set up so it's perfect and it's running a lot better. Now it runs really inconsistent, but at least that tells me that it's fuel and i can move from there. Thanks for the help!

--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "robert" <icardvarks@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> speaking of timing, I originally used to time my 80 with the test light method and it worked fine, but I always had to look away from the ,marks while trying to hold the crank still and tighten the adjuster plate. some thing would always move while I was watching the test light bulb.
> Now I set my multi meter to continuity with the tone turned on, I aligne the crank and turn the points till the pitch just starts to drop and tighten the plate without having to look away from what I am doing.
>
>
> --- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "jpardue" <inventorpardue@> wrote:
> >
> > Jill,
> >
> > So your Passport does not run at all?
> >
> > As Baby Huey mentioned, the timing on your 1983 Passport is not adjustable. Honda set it at the factory. The 1981 and earlier Cubs do have adjustable timing, and even then a timing light is not often required.
> >
> > A timing light creates a "stop motion" effect that allows you to study your engine as it runs. It shows you WHEN the spark is happening. It is rare but possible to have an internal engine problem or electronic failure that can cause the WHEN to be all wrong.
> >
> > If you have no spark, a timing light is no help. There are several simple tests to run that require mainly observation, and a few more tests that require a multimeter.
> >
> > Let us know how to help.
> >
> > Jon Pardue
> > Sarasota, Florida
> >
>

__._,_.___
C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)

1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c

More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment