I've actually heard of success with a small malleable wire but of course while it's the simplest method it's also the most dangerous as a harder metal like steel may damage the get & a soft metal may break off.
--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, gandalf@... wrote:
>
> You should get a paint bucket chem dip thing or have a shop do it (probably about the same cost). My carb sparkled inside and out after I soaked it in that stuff.
>
>
> (imagine a cute or dirty tagline here)
>
> On Wed 10/08/11 9:23 AM , Charles Schlosshan cayman2653@... sent:
> > Hi Fellows,
> > Just finished trying to clean the slow jet on my original Honda carb.Â
> > I could not get it all cleaned out but I could see light through it but the
> > light was not a perfect circle, far from it. Put it on the bike to
> > try and get the top speed back. It did not go as fast as the dratv
> > carb probably due to the mid range would not adjust to a good smooth
> > accelleration. I do think it woud have hit 35-37 if the road had been
> > just a little bit longer. Once the rev's got up it would run faily
> > well. On the return leg of the journey the road was slightly up hill,
> > the engine seemed to miss a lot and speed was barely 30mph. Put the
> > dratv carb back on with the original main jet, #79, and the needle in the
> > lowest groove. The carb was still adjusted from before so it started
> > right up on the electric starter and sit there idling smooth. There
> > was no bogging and it ran right up to 35-37mph just as before. I am
> > going to accept that the bike is doing all itcan do and leave well enough alone. Some day I may find a nice long
> > level road and it may actually hit 40 then, maybe 45 with a good tail
> > wind. Thanks to all that offered suggestions and help, many
> > issues were solved and the engine runs really good now.
> > From: Walter Hansen ic.net>To: Hon
> > da-C70@...: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 10:45 AM
> > Subject: Re: [Honda-C70] Re: Top Speed
> >
> >
> > Â
> >
> > I have a good solid 45 and I want 52 as reported on the one website.
> > It's the nature of the beast. I'm daily driving a Rebel now and I'm
> > still in the phase where the bike goes faster than I want. I remember
> > when 30 on my SuperCub scared me to death. But then I used to ride my
> > CT70 at about 52mph when I was a kid.
> >
> > On 8/9/2011 10:43 PM, steib500 wrote:
> > > I weigh 240 and get a solid 40 on level. Maybe
> > 40.5 if I lean over to break the wind. I used to always get 42 sitting
> > straight up, but definitely lost 2 mph when changing to the new DRATV carb.
> > I thought about trying synthetic axle grease to see if that would get
> > another 1/4 mph.>
> > > I have the original carb, but don't know how to
> > overhaul it properly. I tried that twice and couldn't, also couldn't find
> > anyone professional to overhaul it.>
> > > I always wanted the 45 mph many others seem to
> > get. It is funny that we all want the extra 1 or 2 mph. But, some of my
> > best times are riding less than 10 mph, bicycle speeds.>
> > > I bought mine new in 1980 so I know it is all
> > stock, except for the carb. I think I will try again to find someone to
> > overhaul the original carb. I want the 2 mph back. I need it
> > badly.>
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --- In Hon
> > da-C70@yahoogroups.com, Charles Schlosshan
> > wrote:>>
> > >> Baby Huey,
> > >> I think it may be worth a try on the 14
> > tooth sproket. I will order one from dratv and see how it does. I'll let
> > you know the results.>> Again thanks for your help.
> > >> Charlie
> > >>
> > >> From: myron
> > andrews>> To: hon
> > da-c70@yahoogroups.com>> Sent: Tuesday, August 9, 2011 12:22
> > PM>> Subject: RE: [Honda-C70] Top
> > Speed>>
> > >>
> > >> Charles : My 81 has stock 14t& 36t
> > gearing ,my weight is 205/210 ish but with the 15 lb metal milk crate
> > trunk& 10 lb each old Harley D hard bags plus windshield ,the as
> > ridden weight may be around 245ish . Mike G has a chart on gear to rpm or
> > speed rate with different front sprockets . If I remember right 200 to 300
> > rpm change between 14t&15t in top gear. That might be enough for your
> > motor to think it is in overdrive& can`t pull more. Maybe Mike G can
> > clarify for you .>> Baby Huey
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> To: Hon
> > da-C70@yahoogroups.com>> From: mikeswan@
> > >> Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 07:38:08
> > -0700>> Subject: Re: [Honda-C70] Top
> > Speed>>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> Hmm, I would think you are getting the max
> > out of it if you weigh 245ish. I would guess a 14 tooth sprocket would
> > give you a bit more but you might lose some bottom end grunt if you are
> > going up a hill. Too new to these bikes to be sure, tho.Michael>>
> > >> --- On Tue, 8/9/11, Charles
> > Schlosshan wrote:>>
> > >> From: Charles
> > Schlosshan>> Subject: Re: [Honda-C70] Top
> > Speed>> To: "Hon
> > da-C70@yahoogroups.com" da-C70@yahoogroups.com>>> Date: Tuesday, August 9, 2011, 10:32
> > AM>>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> Baby Huey,
> > >>
> > >> Thanks for getting back to me. I miss
> > counted the front sproket the first time, second time and again when I
> > rechecked it. It is a 15 tooth. I thought 15 tooth was stock? Maybe a 14
> > tooth is what it needs? From past responses I think you and I are both in
> > the 245'ish range, so if yours will go 40 in a 1/2 mile then mine should
> > too. I do wish there was a long country road around here to ride on and
> > maybe a little hill so I could check top speed on the down hill run. I
> > have probably a 1/2 mile slightly sloped down hill (for Myrtle Beach) road;
> > I can get 37mph sometimes before I have to slow down for the traffic light;
> > on the up hill run it will pull 33-34 most of the time if the wind is low.
> > Do you think a 14 tooth sproket would do better? Is yours 14
> > tooth?>>
> > >> Thanks Again,
> > >>
> > >> Charlie
> > >>
> > >> From: myron
> > andrews>>
> > >> To: hon
> > da-c70@yahoogroups.com>>
> > >> Sent: Tuesday, August 9, 2011 10:07
> > AM>>
> > >> Subject: RE: [Honda-C70] Top
> > Speed>>
> > >> The shift marks you mention for 1st&
> > 2nd gears are the Maximum recommended speed ,not a shift point. 1 time you
> > say the front sprocket is 14 t [stock ] the next you say 15 T [geared high
> > ]. My 81 will get to 35 in about 1/8 mile ,40 in 1/2 mile . 45 to 50 takes
> > the mile&1/4 long big hill west of town& a 20 mph tail wind . The
> > speed up that hill is 18 to20 in 2nd gear 3rd is useless . As a last
> > resort have you considered finding a small test pilot& a looong test
> > road ? You seem to have done everything right so maybe the bike is doing
> > all it can& your expectations are a bit too high . Good Luck ! Baby
> > Huey>>
> > >> To: Hon
> > da-C70@yahoogroups.com>>
> > >> From: cayman2653@
> > >>
> > >> Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 12:47:09
> > +0000>>
> > >> Subject: [Honda-C70] Top Speed
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> Fellows, I need some more ideas. Per my
> > previous posts the entire upper end of the engine has been replaced
> > including the carb and a new clutch. The bike would do 35mph before all the
> > changes were done and still will only do 35mph. The valves, points, cam
> > timing and ignition timing are all per Honda spec's. The dratv carb is set
> > with the needle one notch from the bottom and the main jet is from the
> > original Honda carb; I could not find a number on the after market main jet
> > so I assumed the Honda jet would be correct. The rear tire is inflated to
> > 40psi and the front to 35psi. The chain is adjusted correctly and both
> > wheels spin freely. Throttle cable adjusted with about 5mm free play. Front
> > sproket is 15 tooth and the rear is 36 tooth. The bike idles smooth and
> > steady with no bogging in mid range or upon accelleration. It will reach
> > the shift marks in 1st and 2nd gear buut will only go to 35mph in 3rd gear.
> > It goes to 35mph in about 1/8 mile. What could>>
> > >> be hard?
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> [Non-text portions of this message have been
> > removed]>>
> > >>
> > ------------------------------------>>
> > >> C70 Passport Not Running Right?
> > >>
> > >> 1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw>>
> > >> 1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting
> > Guide:>>
> > >> http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page
> > 101.jpg)>>
> > >> 1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c>>
> > >> 1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting
> > Guide:>>
> > >> http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page
> > 170.jpg)>>
> > >> 1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting
> > Guide:>>
> > >> http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page
> > 205.jpg)>>
> > >> 1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6>>
> > >> 1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c>>
> > >> More resources for C70 Passports and
> > Cubs:>>
> > >> http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm>>
> > >> http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.htmlYahoo! Groups Links>>
> > >> [Non-text portions of this message have been
> > removed]>>
> > >> [Non-text portions of this message have been
> > removed]>>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> [Non-text portions of this message have been
> > removed]>>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > ------------------------------------>>
> > >> C70 Passport Not Running Right?
> > >> 1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw>> 1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting
> > Guide:>> http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page
> > 101.jpg)>> 1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c>> 1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting
> > Guide:>> http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page
> > 170.jpg)>> 1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting
> > Guide:>> http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page
> > 205.jpg)>>
> > >> 1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6>> 1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c>>
> > >> More resources for C70 Passports and
> > Cubs:>> http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm>> http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.htmlYahoo! Groups Links>>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> [Non-text portions of this message have been
> > removed]>>
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ------------------------------------
> > >
> > > C70 Passport Not Running Right?
> > > 1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw> 1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
> > > http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page
> > 101.jpg)> 1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c> 1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
> > > http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page
> > 170.jpg)> 1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
> > > http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page
> > 205.jpg)>
> > > 1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6> 1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c>
> > > More resources for C70 Passports and
> > Cubs:> http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm> http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.htmlYahoo! Groups Links>
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > C70 Passport Not Running Right?
> > 1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
> > http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page
> > 101.jpg)1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
> > http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page
> > 170.jpg)1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
> > http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page
> > 205.jpg)
> > 1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn61982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c
> > More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
> > http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htmhttp://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.htmlYahoo! Groups Links
> > To visit your group on the web, go to:
> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Honda-C70/
> > Your email settings:
> > Individual Email | Traditional
> >
> > To change settings online go to:
> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Honda-C70/join(Yahoo! ID required)
> >
> > To change settings via email:
> > Honda-C70-digest@yahoogroups.com Honda-C70-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> > Honda-C70-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
> > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)
1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c
More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
No comments:
Post a Comment