Monday, August 1, 2011

[Honda-C70] Re: rear brake question

 

Hello,

I have had this same thing happen on my '82 C70. What I did to solve the problem was to remove the wheel and take the brake assembly apart. I cleaned everything inside really well with laquer thinner. Then I removed the 10mm nut and bolt that hold the actuating lever to the shaft sticking out of the backing plate and removed the lever. I then removed that shaft out of the brake backing plate. That shaft was corroded onto the backing plate on mine which was the main cause of my problem. Clean that shaft really well and then grease it a little where it goes into the hole in the backing plate. I also put a small dab of grease on the flat end of the shaft where the shoes contact it. Now reassemble it all. That cured all of my brake sticking woes and the bike has stopped great for several thousand miles. I also did the same procedure to my front brake at the same time. Another possible but less likely situation could be that the brake lining is starting to separate from the shoe itself. I had this happen to me shortly after I bought my '82. The linings came unbonded and locked my rear wheel up tight.

Tim

--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "justinsnell82" <justinsnell82@...> wrote:
>
> checked the arrow alignment, way off aligning. could the pads be sticking? is there anything that could cause this or anything i should check?
>
> --- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "justinsnell82" <justinsnell82@> wrote:
> >
> > thanks for the replies. i will check the arrow alignment when it cools down tonight. when i apply the rear brake, and accelerate, it sounds like a automobile when a brake job is needed. stooping is not bad, i guess. it hard for me to compare becuase i have never rode another c70.
> >
> > --- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "Jon" <jonathan.yoon@> wrote:
> > >
> > > The guy at the shop where I first had my tires changed said that my brake pads were still good. That was at 3200mi. Bike has about 4k on it, not sure the exact number since I had to install a new speedo. I wonder if I should do the same - since I have the same stopping distance as a car.
> > >
> > > --- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, Chris Bader <bader_ct@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Hi,
> > > >
> > > > I changed my rear brakes after about 4,200 miles on my passport.  There must have been nothing left on the original pads
> > > > because now it stops almost instantly with the new brakes.  That was the best safety precaution yet for riding and it was under $10 in
> > > > parts.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks,
> > > >
> > > > Chris
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > ________________________________
> > > > From: Jean Luc Picard <atari2600a@>
> > > > To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com
> > > > Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2011 10:23 AM
> > > > Subject: [Honda-C70] Re: rear brake question
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >  
> > > > The two little arrows on the drum & where the cable attach indicate it. When the brake is applied, if the arrows align the brakes are worn. If it makes you feel any better, I've got 7K & the previous owner NEVER changed the pads, or at least the front pads...Bike still brakes but obviously my stopping distance is increased.
> > > >
> > > > --- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "justinsnell82" <justinsnell82@> wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > do the brakes on the c70 idicate when worn like an automobile? seems like the rear brake is sticking after i apply, or indicating wear. bike has 2500 miles on it. i dont think the pads have ever been changed.
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > > >
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)

1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c

More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment