Monday, August 8, 2011

[Honda-C70] Re: need new gas tank

 

I have not de-rusted, yet, but I have been working on an old Free Spirit Moped with a tank that was all gunked up with evaporated fuel/oil. That gunk was coming off in sheets and yet there was still a lot left to keep clogging the fuel outlet (no "petcock" I jury rigged some plastic tubing to the fuel outlet and put a ball valve in). I eventually found, through experimentation, that brush cleaner worked about the best for removing the gunk. I found that much of the lower tank where the most gunk was built up had no rust under the gunk, but did flash rust after I drained out and washed out the tank after the brush cleaner.

I will probably de-rust both that one and my C70 tank this winter and coat both with one of those two-part epoxy tank coatings. They seem to be more durable than the Kreem or other one step coatings.

Paul

--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "Jon" <jonathan.yoon@...> wrote:
>
> I did the electrolysis method. Works great! Gets tons of gunk out, but takes quite awhile. But if you don't coat it afterwards, it will just rust again. Happened to me. And this time the rust was in fine powder form. Turned all the gas orange and clogged the carb. I just let it pass and eventually it cycled out. There is now new rust in my tank and I figure, let well enough alone. When my tank was full of rust, the gas still came out clear - probably the rust was caked on so well.
>
> But for just rust removal, electrolysis works great! I used this guide here.
>
> http://www.altelco.net/~jacil/clay/motorcycle/KElecSetup.html
>
> After my failure at electrolysis, I tried this method http://www.rusteco.com/. It didn't work for me. No idea why, but I was very unsatisfied with it. Maybe I didn't do it right, who knows.
>
> I've heard that molasses is also good for rust removal, but never tried it.
>
> Actually, I recently lost a bid for a like new 81 C70 passport tank on ebay... So sad, but I wasn't about to fork over 90 dollars either. Someone else did though. Check and recheck ebay frequently if you ever hope to find one - probably the only place online since the part is discontinued and most OEM online catalogs dont have it in stock. Also check Ebay UK, they also had cubs there. If you have a smartphone, the ebay app is a godsend.
>
> Good luck!
>
> -Jon
>
> --- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "Jean Luc Picard" <atari2600a@> wrote:
> >
> > Electrolysis can clean the rust from the tank, but I'm not so sure about evaporated gas gum...
> >
> > --- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, Chris Bader <bader_ct@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I mentioned the wrong product in earlier post.  It was evapo-rust that was used for tank cleaning
> > > and the Berryman's was for cleaning the carb.  There are a number of different products and methods
> > > used.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Chris
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ________________________________
> > > From: holdendr44 <anneholden@>
> > > To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com
> > > Sent: Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:57 PM
> > > Subject: [Honda-C70] need new gas tank
> > >
> > >
> > >  
> > > I need a new gas tank for a 1980 C70. It was my step-father's and has been in storage for 19 years. Would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> > >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)

1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c

More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment