Thank you! Mine was making the same noise.
Kelly
"I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlight begins. It's all a mystery."-Flaming Lips
--- On Fri, 7/22/11, Mike Gladu <mgladu@mindspring.com> wrote:
From: Mike Gladu <mgladu@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [Honda-C70] Wierd Noise on my C70 when going faster than 35mph.
To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, July 22, 2011, 10:12 AM
At 1:26 AM +0000 7/22/11, EddieW wrote:
>Hi everyone, newcomer here.
>
>I just picked up an 81 Passport today that looked to be in superb
>condition.... buttt as I was driving home I noticed it would have a
>sharp whining/rattling sound when I tried going above 35mph. It also
>does it when I rev up the engine too high when it's in neutral. of
>course the seller did not notify me of the issue and is no longer
>responding to my inquiries)
>
>I have a video of what it's doing. Here's the link:
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZBRvFhGvCo
>
>If anyone can help me out I would be eternally grateful. Thank you!
Four things.
1. Your idle is too high. Maybe you are holding the throttle open a
little to illustrate the problem - whatever.
2. There is a small 'stop' rod/post above the rear brake pedal near
the return spring. Make sure the pedal isn't rattling at this contact
point or against the clutch cover. Both are pretty common issues. We
usually either bend the end of the pedal so it doesn't touch the
clutch cover, or put a piece of rubber tubing over the post to create
a little space and damp out the vibrations and quiet that issue.
3. Check the screws on the exhaust heat shield and the nuts on the
exhaust mounting flange. If they are loose - tighten. A loose heat
shield makes the tinny noise I'm hearing in the video.
4. Kick starter. Look at the fold out end and the mounting point on
the kicker shaft. If they are loose, it could be causing the lower
pitch component of your noises.
There are a few other noises that are common to a USA-type C70, but
aren't too much of a problem.
One is the starter clutch sticking a little on the initial turn over.
The clutch can stick a little and keep the starter motor engaged past
the initial spin-up. This doesn't do any damage to the engine, but
the starter spinning ALL THE TIME can't do it much good. You'll know
this is going on if when you STOP your engine the starter motor and
chain make the same whirring noise. The only fix is to get in behind
the generator flywheel and rebuild the starter clutch. It's just
springs and rollers, so all it needs is to be disassembled, cleaned
and reinstalled. You'll need a flywheel puller.
The last one is simple and cheap to deal with. The carb cables and
wiring harness can rub against the plastic inside the leg shield when
you rev the bike up. Just tie them down with cable ties or route them
a little farther away from the plastic.
The tinny noise really sounds like a loose heat shield.
Mike G.
-
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)
1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c
More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
No comments:
Post a Comment