Monday, July 11, 2011

Re: [Honda-C70] Re: Quick poll: replace tranny or put in Lifan 120cc?

 

Mike
The other choice is a CM91, it is step thru, mud guard but no turnsignals or starter.
Bill
Portland OR 

--- On Mon, 7/11/11, Michael Swan <mikeswan@bellsouth.net> wrote:

From: Michael Swan <mikeswan@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [Honda-C70] Re: Quick poll: replace tranny or put in Lifan 120cc?
To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, July 11, 2011, 7:14 PM

 

Yes, I would love a CT90 or 110 but they are not easy to come by here in GA.  I had a friend back in the 70s who had about 4 various off road bikes and one was a CT90.  I rode that thing all over Hiawassee GA. I loved that low gear as I could go up hills that looked straight up.  He traded it for a 125 dirt bike and I think they gave him 100 bucks for it on the trade.  Oh well, that was the 70s.  My girl friend, who is thankfully a lot lighter than I am, wants the Express to ride on the campus at the university where she teaches.  I think it will do fine for that.M

--- On Mon, 7/11/11, william belleau <wjbelleau@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: william belleau <wjbelleau@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Honda-C70] Re: Quick poll: replace tranny or put in Lifan 120cc?
To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, July 11, 2011, 9:50 PM

 

Mike

If you want a little better performance, get a Honda CT110. They are step thru frame.

down side no plastic mud guard. BIG plus, 2 speed trans so you can select low

gear and do trail riding, yet select HI and it is street legal, turnsignals and all.

A few people here in Portland are using them for street bikes.

I do not think they have electric start sothat might be a downer for you.

Bill

Portland OR

--- On Mon, 7/11/11, Michael Swan <mikeswan@bellsouth.net> wrote:

From: Michael Swan <mikeswan@bellsouth.net>

Subject: Re: [Honda-C70] Re: Quick poll: replace tranny or put in Lifan 120cc?

To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com

Date: Monday, July 11, 2011, 6:08 PM

 

Thanks for that bit of info, Bill.  I don't have a C70 yet, but am looking.  I just finished fixing up an 81 Express noped.  lots of fun but not really strong enough to carry me other than on a flat road.  I need something with a low gear to go up some hills at the campground and have a basket for shopping.  I have a bad hip so can't swing a leg over a regular motorcycle.  I like Hondas so that is what I am shooting for. I would prefer to keep whatever I get stock, just like things that way.  A guy is trying to tell me that I can put a new head and cylinder on the Express and get 70cc but then you have to buy a new carb, then a new exhaust.  Rather just have it all there when I get it.thanks again

--- On Mon, 7/11/11, william belleau <wjbelleau@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: william belleau <wjbelleau@yahoo.com>

Subject: Re: [Honda-C70] Re: Quick poll: replace tranny or put in Lifan 120cc?

To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com

Date: Monday, July 11, 2011, 8:50 PM

 

Mike

The Lifan product line is a Chinese line of motors, a knock off of Honda small

horizontal air cooled engines. They have some good products and some not so

good. They are basically a drop in into the Honda 2 bolt frames.

I do believe they are not reported to be as good of quality as Honda, but with the

cost of Honda parts, the Honda dealers not working on older machines they have

quit the following. If you do buy, make sure it is a quality dealer.

Nothing worse then going with 300-400 $ then need a part and they do not carry

any parts.

 

As for the design, Honda designed the small engines and most of their big engines

with the transmission in the same case as the engine crankshaft. Most share the

same oil supply. A simple design but when you have trouble you have to pull the

cylinder off to split the crankcase which adds to the overhaul cost.

 

Bill

Portland OR

--- On Mon, 7/11/11, Michael Swan <mikeswan@bellsouth.net> wrote:

From: Michael Swan <mikeswan@bellsouth.net>

Subject: Re: [Honda-C70] Re: Quick poll: replace tranny or put in Lifan 120cc?

To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com

Date: Monday, July 11, 2011, 4:55 PM

 

Hi, being real new to Honda scooters, and this might be a stupid question but what is a Lifan engine?  Is that something HOnda builds as a replacement engine for old scooters? and it has the gearbox incorporated into it?Sorry for being denseMichael

--- On Mon, 7/11/11, Don Stewart <overthehill10@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Don Stewart <overthehill10@yahoo.com>

Subject: [Honda-C70] Re: Quick poll: replace tranny or put in Lifan 120cc?

To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com

Date: Monday, July 11, 2011, 6:17 PM

 

Its a two stage clutch. It has much smoother shifting.

The New Honda supercub 110cc has the two stage clutch. here is a cut a way of it.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&prev=hp&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://www.honda.co.jp/SUPERCUB/supercub110/equip/

My scout 110cc does not vibrate much at all. I have two of the 110cc engines. I bought the last one Fly had new in the box just before they closed.

--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "Jon" <jonathan.yoon@...> wrote:

>

> I've got an 81 passport with a Lifan 140 in it. Like the 110, it's a 4 speed also but with manual clutch, oil cooled, and kickstart only. It vibrates so much at idle that I feel like I'm riding a vintage sport bike. Kinda gives me a good feeling, but also can be annoying at times when your feet vibrate too much while riding at slow speeds.

>

> I'd say go with the Lifan 120. You'll be able to keep up with any normal city traffic and still have some power to boot if you need it. With a small bike like a C70, you need all the power you can get if you ever find yourself in a compromising situation. I would also get a slightly larger rear tire, for more stability. I went one size up on both front and rear, but now my speedo lies to me, so I need to get that changed back to stock size.

>

> If you plan to restore the bike to showroom condition and just keep it as a collectors item, then stick with the stock 72cc engine. Then you'd have that all original look and feel.

>

> But for riding, especially thousands of miles, go with the lifan. You'll appreciate having a but more umph when you need it. I do like the idea of a 110 from a flyscooter scout though. What do you mean by "dual clutch" anyways? Does it have an auto clutch and a manual clutch?

>

> --- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "Don Stewart" <overthehill10@> wrote:

> >

> > I have a 1982 Passport with a 110cc engine that I took from a Fly scooter Scout. It is a 4 speed with a dual clutch and a 20 mm carb. It runs really strong and will hit 55 to 60 on flat surface.

> >

> > The 110cc top end is 1/4 inch longer so the stock exhaust does not line up. The engine its self was a direct bolt in. No problem there at all. It just depends if you want a passport with more power that can run a faster top speed.

> >

> > --- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <wynnjunk@> wrote:

> > >

> > > Flash quiz hotshots!

> > >

> > > Assuming I'll want to keep my 1983 C70 for many thousands of miles, would you rather:

> > >

> > > 1. keep the existing 70cc stock engine (15000 miles, rebuilt top end and clutch) but replace the transmission (taking the whole engine apart then reassembling it).

> > >

> > > or

> > >

> > > 2. install a Lifan 120cc plug-and-ride motor replacement - the one DrATV advertises to make "hyper Passports"

> > >

> > > http://dratv.com/120cceengine.html

> > >

> > > (assuming a muffler mount adjustment, simple rewiring, footpeg reassignment etc.)

> > >

> > > I'd like to hear thoughts from the intelligensia.

> > >

> > > Ciao,

> > > Tom

> > >

> >

>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)

1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c

More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment