Wednesday, July 27, 2011

[Honda-C70] Re: Top Speed Issue

 

I agree. Rear tire must get at least 40 psi. Most of the weight is taken by that wheel.

--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, Mike Gladu <mgladu@...> wrote:
>
> At 6:02 AM -0700 7/26/11, Charles Schlosshan wrote:
> >A, Thanks for your suggestions and I will try and answer them.
> >- Tire pressure is 35psi
> >- Oil is 10W-40 motorcycle oil and the oil pump is operating.
> >- Brakes and chain are correct. Chain and sprokets are new. Gas is
> >fresh this week.
> >- Carb is new and jets have been checked and cleaned. Air filter
> >has been blown out and looks fine. A new filter should be here
> >this week.
> >- Tuning has been done over and over. Ignition timing is advanced a
> >little just because the bike runs better that way. Carb is perfect,
> >no bogging at all.
> >- Cam timing is on the marks.
> >- Smooth level road, there are a few here, is where I can get
> >35-37mph. I usually set upright as do most scooter riders here. I
> >come from the sport bike crowd so lying down on the bike is
> >possible. CBR1000RR. One member suggested setting the point gap at
> >the upper end of the adjustment span (.018mm) and give the condenser
> >more time to recharge. I did this, was .012mm, and gained the
> >additional 2mph I didn't get before.
> >- Throttle cable has a little more play then 5mm; visual inspection
> >shows the slide completely opening the carb throat. I will adjust
> >it when my parts arrive.
> >- Clutch is new and does not slip. The bike will almost do a
> >wheelie when shifting to 2nd gear with the revs up.
> >- Since the previous owner apparently never changed the oil I don't
> >think it has had any slippery crap in it.
> >
> >I and running out of things to check/replace/repair so any
> >suggestion would be appreciated. I tried to check the muffler for
> >flow just using my hand. Hardley anything comes out the end at idle
> >and not much more rev'ed up a little. The muffler was rusted anyway
> >so I ordered a new one from Beatrice Cycle along with a new cylinder
> >head. I think one of my valves may have been leaking a little. I
> >could detect a little puff sound around the head that I would have
> >called a burnt valve if it was a car. Anyway that is the last item
> >I can replace on the upper end. The engine feels like it is trying
> >to rev on up in third gear, sorta like a surge for a second or so.
> >(?) I would think that would be the ignition timing but I have
> >moved it everywhere possible to move it. A little advanced is where
> >it runs the best. With the timing set on the F mark it runs really
> >sluggish. Any Comments?
>
> I would:
>
> Put the ignition timing back 'on the marks' to have a better idea of baseline.
>
> Change to a new condenser and points (if you haven't already).
>
> Do a compression test (looking for better than 125psi).
>
> Set the float level higher (as high as it will go without overflowing
> on the sidestand).
>
> Go to 40psi (can't hurt).
>
> Make sure the chain has some free play (too tight will cause drag).
>
> Spin the wheels off the ground to be sure the bearings aren't trashed.
>
> There are a few pages in the online manual that take you through
> every obvious and not so obvious step of troubleshooting slowness.
>
> Check them out.
>
> http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Honda-C70/files/C70%2080-81%20Passport%20Shop%20Manual%20%28JPEG%29/172.jpg
>
> http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Honda-C70/files/C70%2080-81%20Passport%20Shop%20Manual%20%28JPEG%29/173.jpg
>
> http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Honda-C70/files/C70%2080-81%20Passport%20Shop%20Manual%20%28JPEG%29/174.jpg
>
>
> Mike G.
> -
>

__._,_.___
C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)

1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c

More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment