Thanks very much gentlemen! I guess I'll order a replacement!
--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, myron andrews <mvandrews13@...> wrote:
>
>
> Paul : Every thing you are describing sounds perfectly normal. First the missing piece of the head around the exhaust port , was made that way by Honda . Looks broken but it`s not. Second the missing half pieces sounds like the muffler is not OEM but a newer stile replacement. The half pieces are replaced by a thick neck on the pipe. Like you described. The mounting bracket should not be cracked 3/4 or at all . But you knew that. There should be a crush gasket OR a copper sealing ring/gasket in a grove in the head . If it is the crush gasket ,it is crushed & shot . Needs to be carefully cleaned out & new 1 installed . The copper ring I guess is a more permanent thing. The copper doesn`t get chewed up like the aluminum head would from the pipe wiggling & vibrating against it. Good Luck ! Baby Huey
>
>
>
>
> To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com
> From: pbsgcq@...
> Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 14:27:38 +0000
> Subject: [Honda-C70] This is exhausting (muffler problems and options).
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Took off my noisy muffler on my 1981 to install a new "gasket" and the half moon pieces when what to my wondering eyes should appear, but NO gasket, NO half pieces, and instead, some sort of mystery "flange." (A blackened 1/2 inch of pipe w/ a flange around the top). (my mounting bracket turns out cracked too -- nearly 3/4 of the way across!)
>
> At first I though, "Humpfh, maybe this isn't the OEM exhaust and this had a different configuration, but I now more inclined to think that this mystery flange was once an actual part of the muffler and it just wore off and broke (it definitely looks very worn thin) and that the PO never installed the donut gasket or the half moons.
>
> So i started looking at images and photos and such and some of the mufflers look like maybe I'm right (there seems to be a flange where the muffler hits the head), but other mufflers have a great big flangy looking sort of thing -- like instead of a flange that's a couple millimeters thick, this flange is a whole inch -- like maybe it's designed so you don't need the half moons (?) But nobody takes close up pictures of that end of the exhaust (including the manual) so I'm not sure where I'm at.
>
> Or maybe the big flange mufflers are for a different model.
>
> Anywho, I want to buy and aftermarket exhaust and I'm not sure what I should be getting. Any help would be appreciated (by aftermarket, I just mean a cheaper that OEM original -- but one that looks like the original). Any ebay recs are welcome. dratv has them, but just OEM (unless you want something that doesn't look OEM)
>
> One other thing... The recess that the exhaust bolts into (on the head) is just fine, but there is a cylindrical wall (about an inch deep) around that exhaust hole and it looks like a small triangle of that has been worn away (either by the hot exhaust, or just from rubbing. It doesn't seem like would really hurt anything (as long as it didn't get any bigger), but I'm wondering if others of you have seen this and if there is a solution (if it's a problem) other than buying a new head.
>
> Thanks! Paul
>
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)
1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c
More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
No comments:
Post a Comment