Tuesday, July 26, 2011

[Honda-C70] Re: Testing the Ignition Coil

 

Hello Eddie

Looking at the free online Honda passport '80-82 shop manual, page 154, there are nice pictures there that you should study!

It shows that the primary resistance is ~1 to 2 Ohms so your x1 scale would be good for that, but the secondary (the one you are trying to measure) is ~8,000 Ohms. Note the picture, what do you see?

How can you measure (see a deflection of the meter) on the x1 scale??

BTW, the first picture on the left on page 154, should also by x1000. Hey, Honda didn't have all geeks to proofread back then :D

I bet your old coil is good too. They just don't go bad that often. The wires corrode at the spark plug cap maybe.

I would check the kill switch:)

Ron in NJ

--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "EddieW" <eddiewire@...> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone.
>
> I picked up an 81 passport that was in pretty bad shape a few weeks ago and I've been trying desperately to get it to spark but it hasn't been happening so far.
>
> I've replaced the condenser and points and I've set those up all nicely and that didn't seem to help.
>
> So last week I bought a cheap ignition coil from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ignition-Coil-Honda-Z50-CT70-CT90-C70-Moped-Scooter-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27b7bea403QQitemZ170586448899QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1025wt_717
>
> and I tested it according to the honda service manual and it seems the primary test isn't falling through. For both the OEM one that was on there before and this one. Now i'm beginning to question if I'm testing it correctly at all.
>
> Here's a picture of how I've been doing the primary test.
> http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j156/h4xclan/photobucket-3070-1311655486765.jpg?t=1311655685.jpg
>
> The multi-meter has been set at both Rx1 and continuity beep and neither will give a sign that there is continuity.
> As in the picture, I have the red node connected to the spark plug wire, and the black is connected to the black wire.
>
> So what I'm really wondering is if I'm even doing this test correctly.
> Also should I just buy an OEM ignition coil from dratv?
> Getting really frustrated as I shelled $300 for the bike hoping it would just be a carb clean but I've already put another $300 just for parts.
>
> Thanks for the help all.
>

__._,_.___
C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)

1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c

More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment