Friday, June 3, 2011

RE: [Honda-C70] Re: Suffering Fuel Economy

There is a you tube video on setting the valve tappets on a ct 70 that you might want to find. The only thing I disagree with the video on is he unlocks the lock nuts on the tappets before checking to see if they are " on the money" . For me 4 times out of 5 they are OK & don`t need changing. But the video is on setting the valves not on checking. Read all you can on adjusting the points in the files section below as the rubbing block wears down over time & changes the air gap so that the points don`t stay open long enough to recharge the coil to fire as well. That steals power so slowly you don`t notice. The only other advice on points I will offer is ,if you undo the wires make sure the order of ,wire,fiber washer ,spring,nut ,ect. is EXACTLY the same as it was. Any variation in order will ground the points & you will be a new member of my " my points hate me club". My Honda points hated me starting in 1964 . All my other bike I could work on the points with no problem but not Honda. Good Luck! Baby Huey


To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com
From: ambrunner@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2011 14:50:27 +0000
Subject: [Honda-C70] Re: Suffering Fuel Economy


Nah Huey, this is my 4th summer on the bike. My daily commute consists of 10 miles each way and the speed limit is 25 MPH most of the way, so I'm usually somewhere between 25 and 30.

--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, myron andrews <mvandrews13@...> wrote:
>
>
> Hi : I had another train of thought on your fuel economy . When the mileage was 90+ had you just gotten the bike & were riding gently ? Like I did when my 81 was new & needed to be broken in . I got 125 mpg the first 600 miles . After that mileage dropped to 75 mpg in part because" I ride it like I stole it" most of the time, full throttle until I need to back off. One day with the tank full I plan to go for a 27/28 mph ride to see if it is me or the bike to blame. Baby Huey
>
>
>
> To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com
> From: bader_ct@...
> Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 11:39:59 -0700
> Subject: Re: [Honda-C70] Re: Suffering Fuel Economy
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Hi,
>
> The worst fuel mileage mistake I made was to install the W clip incorrectly in the throttle cable on top
> of carb. Besides fouling the plug and making the idle go crazy at times, it lowered the mileage to around
> 50 mpg.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris
>
> ________________________________
> From: adam <ambrunner@...>
> To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2011 10:47 AM
> Subject: [Honda-C70] Re: Suffering Fuel Economy
>
>
> thanks for the ideas. I'll check out the timing. Anyone have advice for how to inspect / adjust the valves? An explanation of how these parts work, what they're supposed to do, and how problems can create lower fuel economy would be especially helpful here.
>
> I put a new chain on and adjusted it toward the end of last year, so I'm putting that pretty low on the list.
>
> Put new Gazelles on this spring and adjusted the brakes at that time, so I'm doubting the brake hang/drag theory as well.
>
> thanks!
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73
C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81
C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)

1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83
C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c

More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.htmlYahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Honda-C70/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Honda-C70/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Honda-C70-digest@yahoogroups.com
Honda-C70-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Honda-C70-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment