Wednesday, June 1, 2011

[Honda-C70] Suffering Fuel Economy

 

Hey all. '81 has been running really well all spring, but it felt like I was stopping at the fuel pump more frequently than in the past. Did the math over a couple of tanks and was bummed to find out I'm getting only 64 MPG. Last time I did the numbers over several tanks was 2 years ago, and I was getting in the 95 MPG range then.

I had the carb tuned at a local shop last summer (Blue Cat Motors in St Paul, MN), so I don't think the fuel ratio is bad.

What I'd like to do is do a step by step process of elimination type of troubleshooting/diagnosis. Where should I start, simplest stuff first?

I'm happy to bring it into the shop to have the actual work done if necessary, but I'd love to avoid bringing it to them and saying "gee whiz, i don't know what's wrong, you just tell me, whatever it takes." -- I've been reading some VERY sketchy reviews of this shop lately where people have been taken for hundreds of dollars and the bikes are still not running well, etc. I didn't have that kind of experience with them, but I only went it for a straightforward carb tuneup. I can't risk taking it and paying $89 just for the checkup and then they tell me it's gonna be another $200 on top of that. deadbeat's not made outta dough! haha.

thanks friends.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)

1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c

More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment