Hello everyone, I have two 1980 C70s. The first one I bought for $700. It's in good shape and has 4,000 miles on it. I paid $300 for the second one which has 500 original miles but was wrecked in 1981, doesn't have a title, is bent up a bit on the rear end and is missing the engine head... Of course I drive the first one!
I have been slowly swapping parts from the 500 mile bike to the one that I ride. I started with the 500 mile new brakes and wheels (front and rear), and some of the cosmetic parts (exhaust, kick start, side covers, brake pedals, etc) I have also installed new tires on my C70, changed the oil, and installed a milk-crate rear basket.
I love to ride my c70! I also have a 1979 Honda CB750F but I prefer to ride this now. The combined weight of myself and my girlfriend is over 350 lbs (160kg) (mostly me haha) but we zip around town with the two of us riding quite frequently.
My first question is about upgrading the sprocket. I have purchased a new 15 tooth sprocket because I heard that this will give me a few extra mph for each gear. This could be important to me because we live in a hilly area. Occasionally, with the two of us riding, making it up hills becomes difficult. We often find ourselves running out of power, shifting into 1st, and taking the hill all the way in first gear. I was hoping that the upgraded sprocket would give us a few extra mph in 1st to make the slow trip a bit more enjoyable... Does that make sense?
My second question is about the clutch in this thing. I believe I have some serious problems here. I have adjusted the clutch multiple times but this has not fixed my problem. What happens is that when the motor gets hot (after I have been riding for some distance solo or after riding a shorter distance with the two of us) it doesn't like to shift. Sometimes shifting into second from first can be almost impossible (as in it won't shift). Also, downshifting (at the appropriate speeds... 10 or below to second and 5 or below for first) is very difficult, sometimes not possible. Even once I have stopped, I often cannot make the downshift without turning off the engine.
I have checked and adjusted the chain, and adjusted the clutch following the routine outlined in the book and that I have read on many threads here. My question then is should I remove the clutch from the bike with only 500 original miles and install it on the bike that I ride. What all should I switch over? Would it be easier to just take the head from my bike and install it on the other motor?
My last question regards a noise that I have. When the engine is hot, and only under high rpms, there is a rattling noise coming from the bike. I originally thought that it was some type of noise coming from vibration of the stand or something but have noticed that it only happens when the bike is hot and then only under high rpm load. For example, if I am climbing a hill in second, it will make the noise. It will also make the noise when I am going down a hill but at a higher speed and full throttle. The noise sounds like metal rattling inside a tin can or (my original thought) the exhaust rattling at the point where it connects to the engine.
Thanks in advance for your help. I hope my first message wasn't too long. I look forward to hearing from you!
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)
1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c
More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
No comments:
Post a Comment