OK. I got a wild hair and decided to swap out stators tonight. Still a no go. I have now swapped out the coil, cdi, and the stator with no luck. Damnit, this little sucker is beginning to be a real pain in the butt. Any other ideas???
Chris
--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "knytewolf1974" <knytewolf1974@...> wrote:
>
> You guys are awesome! I really appreciate all the great input. I will try swapping out the stators either tonight or first thing tomorrow. Wish me luck!
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Chris
>
> --- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, william belleau <wjbelleau@> wrote:
> >
> > Chris
> > It is a straight plug and play. The CDI gets it's signal from a target on the
> > flywheel so no timing adjustment.
> > Bill
> > Portland OR
> >
> > --- On Fri, 6/24/11, knytewolf1974 <knytewolf1974@> wrote:
> >
> >
> > From: knytewolf1974 <knytewolf1974@>
> > Subject: [Honda-C70] Re: Why won't it start? What am I missing? Please help.
> > To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com
> > Date: Friday, June 24, 2011, 2:24 PM
> >
> >
> > Â
> >
> >
> >
> > I checked the flywheel to piston timing and it appears to be dead on as well. The carb is getting fuel to the bowl as well. I tried squirting starting fluid into the carb and oil in the spark plug hole with no luck. I think my next step is to swap out the stators and see if that does the trick. I won't have time to do that until the morning tho. Any dangers of swapping out the stators just to test on the other bike? Any re-timing or anything I will need to do, or is it just a static part? I am asking because I have never messed with one before. From pictures I see it appears to be a simple task.. (swapping out stators?)
> >
> > Chris
> >
> > --- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, Mike Gladu <mgladu@> wrote:
> > >
> > > At 2:45 PM -0500 6/24/11, Mike Gladu wrote:
> > > >At 6:52 PM +0000 6/23/11, knytewolf1974 wrote:
> > > >>I am trying to ressurect an 83 that has not been running for almost
> > > >>20 years. I put in a new battery, changed the oil and put in a new
> > > >>spark plug. I also relined the gas tank and put on new hoses. I also
> > > >>installed the carb from my other running 83. I checked for spark and
> > > >>I am getting spark to the plug, I am also assuming that fuel is not
> > > >>a problem since I swapped out the carb and have new hoses attached
> > > >>to the freshly lined tank. When I press the starter button I feel
> > > >>suction from the intake and air blowing out from the exhaust so I
> > > >>don't see compression as an issue? What else could I be missing? Any
> > > >>help would be greatly appreciated!
> > > >>
> > > >>Thank you,
> > > >>
> > > >>Chris
> > > >
> > > >Things not mentioned:
> > > >
> > > >Actual compression (actual test), whether the spark LOOKS good or IS
> > > >good (put in the old plug or another new one), fuel flow to the bowl
> > > >(test for free flow at the drain screw), plug condition after test
> > > >starts (wet or dry, color), did you try other start methods (extended
> > > >bump starts), choke function (and it doesn't matter what temperature
> > > >it is - use it), air cleaner on or off.
> > > >
> > > >Don't just shade-tree test the three basics - spark, compression and fuel.
> > > >
> > > >Seeing spark, wheezing intake/exhaust and smelling fuel isn't good enough.
> > > >
> > > >Make sure all three are up to spec.
> > > >
> > > >Also, I will NEVER re-time a bike that ran when put away. It just
> > > >isn't a likely cause.
> > > >
> > > >Mike G.
> > > >-
> > >
> > > It's pretty common for a bike with visible spark to have WEAK spark
> > > due to a failing stator.
> > >
> > > Check the generator output, CDI, coil, wire and cap.
> > >
> > > Swapping the entire stator and generator cover set from a known-good
> > > bike might be a worthwhile effort...
> > >
> > > Mike G.
> > > -
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
>
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)
1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c
More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
No comments:
Post a Comment