Saturday, June 4, 2011

[Honda-C70] Re: Some questions on my 1980 C70

 


--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, Mike Gladu <mgladu@...> wrote:
>
> At 12:42 PM +0000 6/3/11, vegansoapdude wrote:
> >My first question is about upgrading the sprocket. I have purchased
> >a new 15 tooth sprocket because I heard that this will give me a few
> >extra mph for each gear.
>
> Just so you know - the 15t sprocket is recommended to lower your rpm,
> not increase your speed. We put the 15t on to make the bike less
> buzzy at cruising speed (35mph) and stretch out lower gear usefulness
> a tiny bit. A 72cc engine doesn't have enough power in third gear to
> make the bike go faster no matter what you do to the gearing.
>
> >This could be important to me because we live in a hilly area.
> >Occasionally, with the two of us riding, making it up hills becomes
> >difficult. We often find ourselves running out of power, shifting
> >into 1st, and taking the hill all the way in first gear. I was
> >hoping that the upgraded sprocket would give us a few extra mph in
> >1st to make the slow trip a bit more enjoyable... Does that make
> >sense?
>
> Yup. You get to stay in first and second a little longer (500rpm/2mph
> or so) and have a better chance of climbing and holding speed if you
> don't need to go fast or shift into third.
>
> >My second question is about the clutch in this thing. I believe I
> >have some serious problems here. I have adjusted the clutch multiple
> >times but this has not fixed my problem. What happens is that when
> >the motor gets hot (after I have been riding for some distance solo
> >or after riding a shorter distance with the two of us) it doesn't
> >like to shift. Sometimes shifting into second from first can be
> >almost impossible (as in it won't shift). Also, downshifting (at the
> >appropriate speeds... 10 or below to second and 5 or below for
> >first) is very difficult, sometimes not possible. Even once I have
> >stopped, I often cannot make the downshift without turning off the
> >engine.
> >
> >I have checked and adjusted the chain, and adjusted the clutch
> >following the routine outlined in the book and that I have read on
> >many threads here. My question then is should I remove the clutch
> >from the bike with only 500 original miles and install it on the
> >bike that I ride. What all should I switch over? Would it be easier
> >to just take the head from my bike and install it on the other motor?
>
> Clutch, head or engine?
>
> Clutch overheating may be going on if you are riding in a hilly area
> or with a passenger.
>
> You might be served by a change of oil (clean and new, higher
> viscosity, better oil).
>
> The 500 mile clutch /might/ be in better shape in general, but the
> issue here is the YEARS, not the miles involved. The plates may be a
> bit burnt and worn, or damaged from age and sitting unused with only
> an edge touching a puddle of oil.
>
> If you pull either clutch - considering the work involved, I would
> suggest putting new plates and springs in it.
>
> >My last question regards a noise that I have. When the engine is
> >hot, and only under high rpms, there is a rattling noise coming from
> >the bike. I originally thought that it was some type of noise coming
> >from vibration of the stand or something but have noticed that it
> >only happens when the bike is hot and then only under high rpm load.
> >For example, if I am climbing a hill in second, it will make the
> >noise. It will also make the noise when I am going down a hill but
> >at a higher speed and full throttle. The noise sounds like metal
> >rattling inside a tin can or (my original thought) the exhaust
> >rattling at the point where it connects to the engine.
>
> Very often the exhaust heat shield by your right foot is loose and
> will rattle like that. Give it a tap or two with something that won't
> get hurt or burnt.
>
> Also, the rear brake pedal often rattles against the "stop" post that
> the spring attaches to. If yours hits the post, put a piece of rubber
> hose over the post that will keep the pedal from contacting it
> metal-on-metal.
>
> Mike G.
> -
>

Thanks for the reply Mike! It sounds like what I may want to do is pull the clutch from the 500 mile C70 and see what kind of shape it's in. What kind of things should I look for? Also, what about swapping the motor and installing my head? Thanks again!

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)

1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c

More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment