Friday, June 10, 2011

[Honda-C70] Re: Runs. Doesn't. Sigh. Hints? Please?

 

Thanks much. I'll check that (though I'm pretty sure I got the float right). UPDATE: I did go out again tonite and it didn't start -- took out the plug which is pretty black, cleaned it up a bit and it started up fine. I didn't check to see how long it ran, though -- so your thesis could still hold true (about burning up the fuel in the bowl).

--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, Mike Gladu <mgladu@...> wrote:
>
> At 1:18 AM +0000 6/10/11, pbsgcq wrote:
> >My 81 C70 was idling really high and not responding to the idle or
> >mixture screws. So I finally got brave and took the carb apart
> >(first time). Cleaned out the jets w/ guitar wire, etc.
> >
> >Put it back together and it wouldn't start. Had spark -- had gas,
> >but not so much as a sputter. Charged the battery... nothing.
> >Tried a few days later -- nothing. Then, today (several days later)
> >I turned it over a few times and it roared to life. Ran really nice
> >too! Idled nice and low. Sounded like the carb cleaning worked.
> >Didn't try to drive it -- ran for about 2 minutes. I was, of course
> >delighted... but then a couple hours later I tried and she won't
> >start again.
> >
> >What would be your first plan of attack?
>
> Float is stuck, or it's hanging (up).
>
> Engine runs when the fuel can be sucked up through the jets (several
> days sitting and it trickles into the bowl).
>
> When you've used that up (2 minutes) it isn't refilling (stuck in the
> UP position).
>
> Try whacking the carb bowl with the handle end of a screwdriver to
> loosen the float, or take the bowl off and inspect the 'action' of
> the float and needle. Make sure the float drops and the needle
> releases fuel.
>
> We've seen floats installed upside down and needles not hooked into
> the three fingers on the float, which will make the needle ride high
> and stay closed even when the fuel level is very low.
>
> Mike G.
> -
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)

1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c

More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment