Thursday, June 16, 2011

[Honda-C70] Re: Grooved Drum Brake Shoes versus non-grooved drum brake shoes

 

Thank you very much! That's very helpful indeed. I think I'll get some grooved shoes then, just in case. Never know what road lies ahead.

--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, Mike Gladu <mgladu@...> wrote:
>
> At 7:00 PM +0000 6/15/11, jonyoon wrote:
> >Been looking to replace my brake shoes and noticed that there are
> >two kinds offered by the good Dr.
> >
> >Ones with grooves manufactured into them
> >
> >And ones without.
> >
> >The price difference isn't very much and I haven't found much
> >information on grooved drum brake shoes. The most I found is that
> >people say it's a sign of wear or breakage in the drum brake -
> >obviously not the answer I'm looking for since the grooves are
> >manufactured into the shoe, so they must be talking about if grooves
> >appear on otherwise groove-less shoes.
> >
> >So why are there grooves in some drum brake shoes over others? Is
> >there some advantage to this? I've just upped my engine to a Honda
> >clone and would like as much front braking power as possible - well
> >at least much more than I have now.
> >
> >Thanks
>
> Grooves are cut in the brake friction material to cut down on
> slippage when wet. To carry water away. It used to be very common for
> dirt bikes. I did to all my enduro bike brakes until they started
> coming that way.
>
> Not really necessary for a C70 unless you run it up to the hubs in water.
>
> Mike G.
> -
>

__._,_.___
C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)

1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c

More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment