Thursday, June 2, 2011

[Honda-C70] Re: Dead Speedometer

 

Thanks for the info, I think it's the speedometer that's broken though, since the needle seems like it has snapped off and is just dangling around now. When the new one arrives I'll find out for sure though. I guess I could test mine with an electric drill and a square shaped bit.

In an earlier post someone told me that corrosion had set in and that this would eventually happen though.

I guess I could switch to 3.0 rear and 2.25 front. Since I'm upping the engine to 140, I wouldn't want to get a speeding ticket with a new speedo and an inaccurate reading. I've also noticed that the bike feels a bit unstable in the rear while riding normally sometimes (35+ mph). Kinda scares me a bit since I'm still new to motorcycling - I like the idea of more stability on the rear. How does the bike handle with 2.25 up front at 40-55mph? I've never ridden with the stock tire size since I had to change the tires first thing - figured I'd go up a size since I planned on getting a larger engine from the get go.

I'll just have to order some more gazelles, they really are great tires. Though it's a real pain in the ass to change them out.

You're not the first person I've heard of that runs with 2.25 front and 3.0 rear.

Thanks!

--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "knytewolf1974" <knytewolf1974@...> wrote:
>
> This may be a stupid question but are you sure your speedo is dead and it's not just the speedometer cable that needs replacing? The symptoms sound almost as if your cable has broken and that both sides of the broken cable mesh from time to time to get the needle to move a bit. I have experienced this firsthand before.
>
> Also, regarding the tires, you are halfway correct. The size of the tire on the rear has no affect on what the speedometer reads, however, if you run anything other than a stock 2.25x17, your speedometer will say you are going slower than you really are. I run a 2.25 on the front and a 3.0 on the rear and I love the stability I feel it has with a 3.0 on the rear.
>
> As for the speedo being overloaded. I myself have never heard of this but that is not to say it can't happen. No definitive answer from me there, sorry.
>
> Chris
>
> --- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "jonyoon" <jonathan.yoon@> wrote:
> >
> > So my speedo is kaput, it did a whole lot of whining before going, now the needle just jiggles around in place or side-to-side or is stuck anywhere on the dial, and is either totally silent or whining like a dropped newborn. I've given up on it and ordered a used one on ebay
> >
> > Now my question is, since I'm replacing my engine with a 140cc Lifan clone, would the excess speed break the new speedo? I think someone on this group told me that my speedo had corrosion in it which was why it would whine and rap up to 55mph whenever I started riding from zero.
> >
> > Also, I have Michelin Gazelles on my bike, 2.5 front and 2.75 rear. Would the larger tires have any effect on the speedometer reading?
> >
> > I think it would make it read as going slower than reality, but I figure I'd ask to make sure.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)

1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c

More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment