I would definitely recommend you replace the needle and use the one that came with your carb. Yes, I know it seems like they are basically the exact same part and what could wear out on a silly little metal needle. However FWIW my experiences in this area:
First was on a '79 Twinstar, different bike but similar style carb, just larger. I ordered a new Chinese carb for it and figured why not just re-use the stock needle and slide. It barely even ran, and I was pretty disappointed with my carb purchase at first. Then I remembered I hadn't used the stock needle&slide--when I put the China needle with the China carb it suddenly started running beautifully, way better than it ever had before.
Second is an '81 C70, a parts bike which I quick-fix revived by swapping in an extra motor and carb I had from a running C70 which had been upgraded to a larger Lifan. I figured the needles would be exactly the same. But again, no. It didn't run right at first. After swapping the needle as well it runs and sounds exactly like the motor did in the old bike.
Both of the replacement needles in these cases did, in fact, turn out to be ever-so-slightly different than the old ones. If your needles are _exactly_ the same, then yeah, obviously in theory there's no need to swap them because it's just a little metal stick, there's nothing to wear out. But if you're not certain of that, it's probably worth swapping both the needle and slide and using the ones that came with your new carb - it only takes a second anyway.
--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mikejohnson175@...> wrote:
>
> replaced the carb on a 72 c70Mk1 with the carb from the Dr. i am not sure what carb was on it before that, all i have was the slide and needle. question is, do i need to replace the needle for one designed for the new carb? or are they interchangeable?
>
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)
1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c
More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
No comments:
Post a Comment