Looks like we have a controversy on our hands. Before receiving Jon Pardue's note (and those who chimed in in a similar vein), I had ordered another brand of AGM battery (a Motobatt MB5U AGM) to replace the toasted Scorpion AGM. After getting Jon's note, I sent a cancellation request for the new AGM battery to their customer service folks. Here's the reply, together with my cancellation request:
Before we cancel (although it most likely shipped already, the ware house in FL has been without power since late yesterday and we never received the tracking info back in our main system), you may want to check you source for your information. They apparently have no idea what they are talking about or are blatantly lying trying to scare you.
AGM batteries can handle charge voltages in the range of 14.4 to 14.8V continuously and over 15V for short duration with no harm. They can be treated the same as conventional lead acid batteries. AGM batteries have a one way rubber valve that will release excess pressure caused by over charging (too high a voltage and or to high of current used). Otherwise the hydrogen gas is recombinant back into the battery. There is a higher chance of a conventional battery catching fire or exploding, as it constantly vents its hydrogen gas into the atmosphere. If a wet battery is overcharged not only will it vent hydrogen it will spew out acid. Scorpion is a good brand, it may have been a weak or faulty valve or your charging system may have gone awry. I would chalk it up to a fluke or that something external to the battery was overcharging the battery. But there is absolutely no truth to what this gentleman shared with you. All the available literature online would support what I have just explained.
IMPACT Sales Team
Tel 1-866-668-3163
sales@impactbattery.com
From: Konrad Hittner [mailto:khittner@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 7:38 AM
To: 'Impact Battery'
Subject: RE: Impact Battery Order# 14744
Dear Folks----Please cancel the order, below. I've been advised that using an AGM battery on a Honda Passport that's used for extended-distance rides, runs a non-trivial risk of a hydrogen battery explosion. The Passport lacks any variety of voltage regulator in its hyper-simple electrical system, and will generate voltages north of 14V on extended rides, causing over-charging of AGM batteries and hydrogen out-gassing. My most recent battery, a Scorpion AGM, failed during an extended (65 mile +) ride this past Sunday. After the ride, I found the once-sealed top cover sitting loosely on top of the battery, and 4 of the 6 cell caps loose, ajar, or completely missing. I initially attributed this to 2000 miles worth of vibration, but a gentleman expert in the eccentricities of Passport electrical systems advises me that this was the result of hydrogen gas build-up in a battery that is unprotected by a voltage regulator. A low-tech, non-sealed battery, with its electrolyte levels checked periodically, is apparently better for this particular application.
Thanks for your kind assistance.
Best regards,
Konrad Hittner
East Lansing, MI
--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "khittner1227" <khittner@...> wrote:
>
> Ohhh----so that's what not having a voltage regulator will do; I assumed the caps were ajar due to 2000 miles worth of 72cc vibration. I put the sealed battery in because #1, I'm lazy and don't like to look at/semi-guess at the electrolyte level through "transluscent" battery cases/fill little-bitty cells with distilled water; and #2, I don't know how many removal/battery scrutiny/reinstallation cycles my side cover's one remaining bottom tab will take. So I should either get a low-tech battery, or do more stop and go riding? Could I mitigate the issue on long rides by running my electric vest off the Battery Tender pigtail, or will I just succeed in cooking the vest's fusing or the vest itself? Thanks, Jon, for your help and advice.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Konrad
>
> --- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "jpardue" <inventorpardue@> wrote:
> >
> > khittner,
> >
> > The "Scorpion" brand name has little to do with the fact you had a hydrogen blowout after a 65 mile ride. Once an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) battery reaches 13.0 Volts it is 100% charged; further charging releases hydrogen gas and the battery will vent the gas out wherever it is possible. Good thing those caps are lightly glued on, or you might have had quite an explosion to deal with.
> >
> > The 1983 Cub electrical system will achieve well over 13 Volts to the battery after an extended high RPM run. The factory lead-acid battery is tolerant of over 14 charging Volts - it just warms up and boils off electrolyte.
> >
> > Jon Pardue
> > Sarasota, Florida
> >
>
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)
1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c
More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
No comments:
Post a Comment