Over forty years ago I had a Honda Cub and a C200 (90cc with pushrods). Then I had a '71 SL 350 followed by a '73 CR250. I always had a soft spot for the Cub though and over the years wished I had one again. It seemed like everybody in the Third World had them, so much more sensible than a SUV.
While searching for a CX500 I ran across a '81 C70 for $250. It sounded like a project, which is kind of what I was looking for anyway, so I went and looked. It didn't have a key, needed a battery, had stickers all over it and was dirty. It looked like it had always been kept inside and hadn't been molested. It had pretty good compression and the transmission shifted. I figured that was worth $250.
I haven't gotten it started yet. I haven't really tried. I tried charging the battery, yeah it needs one, replaced the broken glass on the speedo with plexiglass, 5439.6 on the odometer, the speedo works, the gas tank looks pretty good inside, smells like gas, aired up the tires, they look good and hold air, peeled all the stickers, did some cleaning, cleaned the points, adjusted the clutch, just general puttering. It doesn't have a centerstand. I figured somebody took it off but, it doesn't have a place for a centerstand. Huh. It also doesn't look like it ever had winkers.
It's yellow and it seems to be close to the same yellow as my old Cub Cadet. I have a can of Cub Cadet paint my neighbor bought me at a yard sale. The tractor earned it's scrapes and scratches and I think it should heep them. Does Cub paint match Cub paint? OK a Passport isn't a Cub but, I couldn't resist.
I'm off and running. I'm sure I'll be checking in. I hope everyone is having as much fun as I am.
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)
1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c
More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
No comments:
Post a Comment