Tuesday, May 10, 2011

RE: [Honda-C70] Rusted Fuel Tank 1981 C70

Hey Mike --- I had the same drama while restoring my 81...What I settled on was a rather expensive approach...I located a radiator shop in Stockton, CA. that had a franchise for cleaning and sealing the inside of these little tanks...It worked perfectly...when I got the tank back the inside was perfect...It appeared to have some kind of coating applied and baked on...cost was $50.00...I could find out the name of the franchise such that you could locate a vendor closer to Portland if you like...Just let me know...
Trey Blum
(707)478-1352
Santa Rosa, CA

To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com
From: wstrong@mountaincable.net
Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 01:10:06 -0400
Subject: RE: [Honda-C70] Rusted Fuel Tank 1981 C70






Hi Michael:

I've used the 'Kreem' coat in the past with (other motorcycle tanks) and had

good success - just follow the instructions, and DON'T overdo it with the

muriatic acid. I'd suggest shaking as much rust off the insides of the tank

by throwing a handful of sharp edged rocks/bolts and washers/what have you

in there first sit in front of the TV for a couple hours while doing the

shake, rattle and roll with it to loosen things up as much as is possible...

if it's heavily rusted, you don't want the muriatic acid eating through thin

metal. Don't use your stock gas cap to blank off that large hole - the gas

cap's 'pot metal' will simply disappear under assault from muriatic acid

(ask me how I know..). The 'Kreem' coat I've heard is good for about 10

years, if properly applied. I've never actually kept a treated motorcycle

for 10 years, so no first-hand experience with longevity.

I've just did my '82 gas tank using the competitor product - 'Por-15' .. it

doesn't coat the tank, but rather converts the rusted metal. This product

still requires the tank surface to be surface etched though, so same sort of

process as 'Kreem' coating it.

Good luck

William Strong

From: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf

Of portlandmichaeld

Sent: May 9, 2011 8:59 PM

To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com

Subject: [Honda-C70] Rusted Fuel Tank 1981 C70

I just purchased a yellow C70 from a couple who stored it under a tarp for

16 years. I've been working on it but have yet to figure out what to do

about the heavily rusted gas tank. I would prefer to buy a new or used one

that is clean but it's looking like I will have to clean it out. I just

bought Kreem and was wondering if anyone has used it. I was planning on

having it sandblasted before using the Kreem. Does anyone have any advice on

cleaning the tank? I've already got new fuel lines and a gas cap and have

removed the tank (no holes). Thanks Mike

(I searched for a thread about this problem and may have somehow missed the

gas tank section?)

_____

No virus found in this message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 10.0.1325 / Virus Database: 1500/3626 - Release Date: 05/09/11

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]




[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73
C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81
C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)

1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83
C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c

More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.htmlYahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Honda-C70/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Honda-C70/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
Honda-C70-digest@yahoogroups.com
Honda-C70-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
Honda-C70-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment