Thanks soo much Mike and Bill!
Everything that you have explained makes sense.
I will try the adjustment suggested Bill
and then make sure my chain is good "kink" free.
If everything checks out, I should have a smooth ride
as I probably shift up and down.
Thank you again!
Liz
Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.
--- On Mon, 5/9/11, Mike Gladu <mgladu@mindspring.com> wrote:
From: Mike Gladu <mgladu@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [Honda-C70] Clutch adjustment....Step by step help please?
To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, May 9, 2011, 11:39 PM
At 7:18 PM -0700 5/9/11, Liz wrote:
>And I did use and open ended wrench to keep that locking nut in place to make
>sure the adjustment screw on the nut didn't move.
>When I went to adjust the clutch the adjustment screw was turned all
>the way tight clockwise. I loosen it one turn counter-clockwise and
>then when it started to get me resistance as I turned it clockwise,
>I stopped and then backed up the screw 1/4 of a turn. It seems to
>still shift hard going up through the gears and downshifting is very
>jerky.
>Any suggestions would be great!
>Thank you!
>Liz :)
If you did a clutch adjustment and are running fresh clean oil, and
shifting is still jerky - it could be that neither of those is a
problem, and the jerkiness might be the normal and slightly odd way
that a C70 shifts.
Keep in mind that the clutch has two basic functions - centrifugal and manual.
The centrifugal part of the clutch comes into play when starting and
stopping in gear.
For gear changes the shift lever first disengages the engine through
manual clutch actuation, changing gear at the end of the lever
movement, then brings the engine back online when the lever is
released.
That said, remember that your idle needs to be very low to start with
to allow a reasonably easy shift from neutral to first. A high idle
will put pressure on the clutch and block smooth shifting at any
speed.
The same goes for shifting at any speed, in any gear - up or down -
if you don't match engine speed to transmission speed with the
throttle.
This is the classic throttle chop when up-shifting and a throttle
bump when down shifting.
If you don't cut the throttle when up-shifting the clutch will
continue to pull and have to be slipped to complete the shift without
a surge.
If you down-shift without slowing first (3rd to 2nd at 10mph or less,
2nd to 1st at 5mph or less), you need to rev the engine up while the
clutch is out to bring engine rpm up to where it needs to be before
the clutch is completely in.
With those adjustments made and a good knowledge of how things
function - I would also look at the chain adjustment, lube and make
sure it's kink-free.
The chain can do a lot to ride quality that can be mistaken for the clutch.
Mike G.
-
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)
1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c
More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
No comments:
Post a Comment