Friday, May 20, 2011

[Honda-C70] When to rebuild? When to replace? Carb Carburetor

 

My 81 sat for a long time and it runs, but tempermentally. Races in neutral, bogs when hot, surges at speed, starts great cold, not so well hot, etc. All carb issues. The bike had 4700 miles and a broken odometer and was last registered in 1986 (but might have been ridden off-road for all I know). But it doesn't blow smoke and has good compression, so it's not like the engine is on its last legs or anything.

My question, of course, is what is the life expectancy on a carb? I know I can save a few bucks and get a gasket kit and jets, but at what point do you say it's not worth the trouble to rebuild and just get a new one? I have seen kits for $25 and up, and whole new carbs for $45!

And if I should go new, any recommendations for someone who is relatively poor but not unwilling to spend a little cash to insure that I at least get OEM performance (if not and OEM carb).

Thanks.

Paul

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)

1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c

More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment