Well, I have a Kawasaki Concours w/ 1000ccs that goes about 140mph (w/ the bags off) so it's not that I need to go fast... I can do that whenever I want. Note that I said "a bit" disappointed -- it's just that I know it's not running quite right. I don't want speed -- i want mpg. But 45mph would significantly expand the # of roads I could comfortably navigate. The carb isn't quite right -- it surges at top speed and idles too fast. When I get those right I'm hoping for a few more mph (and when I loose 30lbs!).
--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "paul_probus" <paul_probus@...> wrote:
>
> Sorry you are disappointed in the performance. 40 is about all I ever got out of mine on the flat and it would slow to about 35 going up a pretty good hill. However, I saw it from a different perspective, being too young for a license when I bought mine, 25 years ago, I thought it was great to be able to get it up to 40 mph when I illegally rode it on the road (there was no local police that patrolled, it was the state police who only came into the area when they were needed). Even after getting my drivers license and being able to drive a car at highway speeds, it was kind of thrilling to ride it at "only" 35 - 40 mph. I was disappointed when I first went to see a "1981 Honda 70cc motorcycle", as it was advertised. To me, I figured it had to be a small dirt bike, which is more what I really wanted at the time, never heard of a full size motorcycle with only a 70cc engine (yes, I consider the Passport a full size motorcycle). However, I fell in love with it and bought it and it became a member of the family I enjoyed using every summer for about 10 years.
>
> You need to realize that 70cc is not a large engine, slightly larger than a moped engine. Even a modern Vespa (i.e. a modern engine taking advantage of all the advances in the past 30 years), 50cc tops slightly lower (listed is 39, I am sure real world is more like 35, but could be wrong, never having ridden one).
>
> I have not used my Passport in over 15 years but plan on getting it back up and running within the next year or two so that I can enjoy it again.
>
> Its a good bike, within its limitations. If you need a bike capable of going faster than 40, I think it makes more sense to get a bike that fits what you need vs. modifying the Passport with a larger engine and such. That is, unless you want a bike capable of a faster top speed, but yet still want the classic styling.
>
> This is not meant to be a criticism of what you wrote. Just providing a different perspective and sharing my thoughts, is all that's intended.
>
> Paul
>
> --- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "pbsgcq" <pbsgcq@> wrote:
> >
> > My speedo and odo didn't work and the worm gear in the front tire seemed just fine -- the cable turned, etc. So I took out the headlamp and found the offending detachment. The cable was spinning in thin air. And missing was the nut (knurled threaded cap?) to join the cable and the speedometer.
> >
> > Well, when that nut comes loose it slides down deep inside the head tube. I'm guessing it either just wiggled loose in time, or -- more likely -- the P.O. was working on it, let is slip down and he thought "well, that'll be a pain to fix. looks like my speedo is broke." Anyway we jammed some wire up from the bottom of the head tube and managed to shove the nut up and reattach the wires. Everything works fine now! (and a bit disappointed to see 40mph as my top speed on the flat -- but that's another problem).
> >
> > Then I wrapped some electrical tape around the cable (in the headlamp housing) such that if it comes loose again, it won't slide all the way down.
> >
> > Didn't see this problem/fix in the archives so thought this might help someone.
> >
>
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)
1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c
More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
No comments:
Post a Comment