Sunday, May 1, 2011

[Honda-C70] Re: Setting the points - getting the engine to stop at the top of the cam.

 

Thanks Mike.

I didn't even think about the magnets!

The bike only has 525 miles on it so the points and cam are like new, thankfully. They just weren't putting out a spark to the plug.

Rather than dig out the timing light and tinker with the timing now, I'm going to assume it's probably still at the original factory setting and focus on getting a reasonable point gap on it. Then see if I'm getting a good spark at the points and the plug.

I was thinking about using that nut to rotate the crank but hesitated because I wasn't sure how tightly it was torqued and didn't want to loosen or break anything I wasn't familiar with. I'll put a socket on it and a small breaker bar to hold it against the magnet's pull.

I did notice the felt was dry so I put a drop or two of 30 weight on it and let it soak through the pad. The cam is nice and clean and the cam follower on the points seems solid for now. But I've ordered two sets of points and an extra condensor from DRATV for my "Spares Box".

Thanks again.

Don

--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, Mike Gladu <mgladu@...> wrote:
>
> At 2:14 AM +0000 5/1/11, Donald Petersen wrote:
> >I'm re-setting my points on the '81 after dressing them (I actually
> >have several point files! An antique item these days) and I'm
> >having the toughest time getting the points to stop on the top of
> >the cam lobe to set them at .014.
> >
> >I pulled the spark plug to eliminate compression but it still keeps
> >popping over, past the cam, whether I push the foot start with my
> >hand or try to use the electic starter.
> >
> >Any tips or tricks for getting the cam to stop with the points open
> >to their widest gap? I'm working solo - so I can't yell at my
> >brother about it, the way I used to.
>
> The magnets in the flywheel are carrying it past the 'sweet spot'
> (like trying to hold a pair of magnets together when they repel).
>
> If you put a handle wrench on the bolt head (not a ratchet) at the
> end of the crank you should be able to hold the crank still at the
> right spot.
>
> BTW - the EXACT SPOT on the cam lobe isn't as important for setting
> the points gap as it is for setting the static timing. Once the
> points are open fully, they stay open for enough degrees to get the
> gap to an acceptable setting.
>
> Once the gap is set, you can then rotate the points backing plate to
> get the best opening point and ignition timing.
>
> One other note - if you're re-using the old points, make sure you
> inspect the cam lobe follower. It will eventually wear down after
> some serious miles. Once worn down, the points will not easily be
> set. This happens even faster than normal if the cute little felt
> oiling pad on the cam isn't kept oiled. If you let it completely dry
> out, the cam can get a little rusty and eat points cam followers like
> candy. The service interval for adjusting points should be good
> enough for oiling the felt thingy.
>
> Mike G.
> -
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)

1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c

More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment