Sunday, May 29, 2011

[Honda-C70] Re: Installing a new muffler...

 

Back again Liz? :D

Referring to our previous conversation, see message #40899, and looking at the parts list mentioned, and looking at your motorcycle, you should see the same general arrangement of parts as on page 52 of the shop manual. Using the terminology there, I would remove the setting nuts, then the mounting nuts, then the muffler should easily come out! Now you must remove part#2 the gasket which is most likely crushed and stuck in the exhaust port. Sometimes one has to resort to 'extreme' measures to remove this item. By that I mean perhaps an ice pick type tool to grab and start to work it loose, then levering underneath with a screwdriver or some such.

From the parts list picture

parts #09 (94001-06200-0S) nuts
parts #10 (94070-08080) nuts
remove muffler
part #02 (18291-HB2-900) gasket

When it was suggested that you get a set of metric sockets, what was not mentioned, was that the '6 point' sockets are preferred over '12 point'. See
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-high-visibility-12-drive-metric-socket-set-67916.html
for an example of 12 point, and
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-color-coded-14-drive-metric-socket-set-67875.html
for an example of 6 point

Of course to 'reach' those setting nuts to undo them one may need an 'extension', such as
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-3-8-eighth-inch-drive-impact-wobble-socket-extension-set-67065.html
in order to get one's handle clear of the surrounding exhaust pipe, etc. Oh handle, for the socket set, hmm, maybe
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=3%2F8+ratchet
so many to choose from! Also one may need 'deep' sockets if the bolt extends too far above the nut. I like these 6 point,
http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece-high-visibility-38-drive-deep-wall-metric-impact-socket-set-67928.html

Also handy are closed end (aka box) wrenches, such as
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=metric+wrench
but I couldn't find any 6 point (remember) on a quick inspection.

Also a torque wrench, so as to not over tighten when assembling, is a handy item for those of the 'ham-fisted' persuasion :)
I like
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-drive-click-stop-torque-wrench-807.html

Now since you are in so deep! Getting to bigger, tighter nuts, like axles, etc., you might enjoy more leverage with a 'breaker bar', such as, hmm, I don't see the cheap 3/8 one harbor freight used to have.

And of course for those 'frozen' Phillips head screws, and hand impact wrench with proper #3 & 32 Phillips head bits, is essential, see
http://www.ehow.com/how_4809810_use-hand-impact-driver.html

Of course you could have avoided all of this, and just gone to
http://www.dansmc.com/tools.htm (LOL)

Well you get the idea... Anyway, again, remove the setting nuts, remove the mounting nuts, remove the muffler, remove and replace the gasket, mount new muffler, put on mounting nuts, put on setting nuts. That seems to be about it!

Of course if you have problems, you can always take or have someone take digital pictures, post them in the photos section of this group and write, saying something like "hey, see pix ... in folder ..., my brake pedal is in the way, I can't get to this nut, I missing this nut, is there a gasket here in this close up" etc. etc.

I predict that you will get many responses, even more if you or your motorcycle are good looking ;->

Ron in NJ

--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, Liz <veap29@...> wrote:
>
> Hi I have a Cylmer manual now and I don't see a chapter or section
> on how to replace the exhaust?
> Any guides out there for a muffler swap?
> Thank you any help is appreciated.
> Liz :)
>
> Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)

1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c

More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment