Well, thanks! That's a great tip and I have rare earth magnets around here from harbor freight. I may just do that to all of my vehicles!
--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, gandalf@... wrote:
>
> Sure. Yeah, the case is aluminum so they won't stick. Just put one or more rare earth (strong) magnets on the outside of the plug itself which is steel. You might have to remove them when you change oil depending on what tool you use, but the plug will stay magnetized for a bit anyway and the draining oil will push out any released particles. If you want you can find magnetized drain plugs at motorcycle shops and on ebay, but I found nickel size rare earth magnets for $0.50 at a local surplus store. I think I currently have a great big one on there that's 1/4" thick by about 1" disk. Every time I change oil the other end of the drain plug looks fuzzy with little metal flakes and I clean them off in a paper towel. Better to get them out of the engine.
>
> I've never had one fall off the bike, their held on pretty strong. Sixteen nickel size rare earth magnets will secure a coffee cup to the top of the mini van at 85mph. The snap that two of these magnets make when they connect is so strong I've been cut by it.
>
> I've heard arguments ether way as to why magnets may or may not affect intersection light sensors. If it helps wonderful. If not it still gets metal flakes out of my engine.
>
> (imagine a cute or dirty tagline here)
>
> On Thu 05/05/11 6:42 PM , "pbsgcq" pbsgcq@... sent:
> > Forgive me for being dense -- on the plug itself?
> >
> > --- In Hon
> > da-C70@yahoogroups.com, Walter Hansen wrote:>
> > > On the outside of the case, NOT the inside. They
> > magnetize the whole > plug so it attracts the metal shavings as they
> > pass the plug.>
> > > On 5/4/2011 4:47 PM, pbsgcq wrote:
> > > > So do you just stack the rare earth magnets
> > on the tip? Seems risky, but then I don't really know what the clearences
> > are or how turbulent the oil is down there.> >
> > > >
> > > > --- In Hon
> > da-C70@yahoogroups.com, gandalf@ wrote:> >>
> > > >> I put a couple of rare earth magnets on
> > my drain plug and I always have some metal fuzz sticking to it when I
> > change oil. The magnets draw the metal out (except for aluminum). The
> > magnets also (MIGHT) help with traffic lights, but then again they might
> > not.> >>
> > > >> I'd expect that the granules are bits
> > of clutch surface. Pretty much to be expected.> >>
> > > >> My clutch often acts slightly
> > differently after an oil change. If it bugs you you should adjust it. Dirty
> > old oil has different properties than clean new oil. If you change your oil
> > regularly this will be less of a factor, but you might still notice
> > it.> >>
> > > >> (imagine a cute or dirty tagline
> > here)> >>
> > > >> On Wed 04/05/11 1:48 PM ,
> > "greenermike" mgreener@ sent:> >>> I changed my oil the other day ....
> > I was looking hard at the old oil,> >>> hoping to find no metal in it ... I
> > didn't find metal, but there was some> >>> kind of granules in there, looked a
> > lot like coffee grounds. Not a lot,> >>> just a few grains .... any idea
> > what that crud was?> >>> I used Bel-Ray EXL4T
> > oil.> >>>
> > > >>> After the change, I notice the bike
> > makes some whirring noises when I shift> >>> that were not there prior to the
> > change. When going from neutral down into> >>> first, it whirs until it clunks
> > into gear ... same whir on the upshifts.> >>> Ideas? Thanks, Mike G.
> > Thomasville GA> >>>
> > > >>>
> > > >>
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > ------------------------------------> >
> > > > C70 Passport Not Running Right?
> > > > 1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw> > 1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting
> > Guide:> > http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page
> > 101.jpg)> > 1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c> > 1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting
> > Guide:> > http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page
> > 170.jpg)> > 1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting
> > Guide:> > http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page
> > 205.jpg)> >
> > > > 1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6> > 1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c> >
> > > > More resources for C70 Passports and
> > Cubs:> > http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm> > http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.htmlYahoo! Groups Links> >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > C70 Passport Not Running Right?
> > 1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
> > http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page
> > 101.jpg)1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
> > http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page
> > 170.jpg)1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
> > http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page
> > 205.jpg)
> > 1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn61982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c
> > More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
> > http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htmhttp://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.htmlYahoo! Groups Links
> > To visit your group on the web, go to:
> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Honda-C70/
> > Your email settings:
> > Individual Email | Traditional
> >
> > To change settings online go to:
> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Honda-C70/join(Yahoo! ID required)
> >
> > To change settings via email:
> > Honda-C70-digest@yahoogroups.com Honda-C70-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> > Honda-C70-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
> > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
> >
> >
> >
>
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)
1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c
More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
No comments:
Post a Comment