Sunday, May 29, 2011

[Honda-C70] Re: A Better Battery

 

As an electrical engineering student, I know this setup isn't the correct way to employ an NIMH pack, but it works. The battery is performing the voltage regulation and there's no current limiting. I've thought about designing a regulator circuit, but I can't figure out a way to make one work without rewiring the entire bike.

The pack i'm using is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-3000mAh-Battery-Tamiya-Connectors/dp/B0037U35SO/ref=pd_sim_t_3

I just checked the battery voltage, and it's reading 8.0V after sitting outside overnight. That indicates a 50-60% state of charge, so perhaps the bike's not putting out enough juice to keep the battery charged. I'll continue this experiment and keep updating this thread until something fails.

-HC

--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, "jpardue" <inventorpardue@...> wrote:
>
> Ron is right on the money about newer battery designs with "Note how the price escalates" and "where do you put all that volume!" and "Limiting the voltage to the battery isn't hard, but limiting the current and the time is not so easy!"
>
> Exotic batteries: the Cub lacks Voltage regulation and "overhead" so you need a custom buck/boost regulator that controls Voltage and current, a custom battery pack and cables. Benefits include bright lights and good blinkers at idle, a horn that blows at any speed, and electric starter authority.
>
> For many people, the cost will outweigh the simplicity of just buying a stock battery, and enjoying riding the bike. Follow Mike G.'s advice on charging and maintenance, and these bikes are fine.
>
> A stock lead-acid Yuasa battery works well for a lot of reasons, cost and performance included. I have used sealed lead acid (SLA) batteries, which have slightly different charging specifications than lead-acid, and those seem to endure okay.
>
> Jon Pardue
> Sarasota, Florida
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)

1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c

More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment