Tuesday, May 31, 2011

[Honda-C70] Re: 1981 C70 propulsion problems

 



OK Mike.
I pulled the rear wheel off and apart. The (4) lobes on the Rear Wheel Hub are completely gone, as well as the rubber dampers. The drive fingers on the Final Driven Flange are a litte scored, but not badly. Now, I'm looking for a hub/rim/spoke assembly. I found a 1982 complete assembly with a tire. I'm not sure if a 1982 rear wheel is compatible with a 1981. Does anyone know?
Thanks Angus

--- In Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com, Angus McDonald <angusgeepa@...> wrote:
>
> Mike,
> Thanks for the quick response. I will do asuggested in the AM. I'll let you know
> what I find.
> Thanks again.
> Angus
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Mike Gladu <mgladu@...>
> To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Mon, May 30, 2011 8:47:01 PM
> Subject: Re: [Honda-C70] 1981 C70 propulsion problems
>
>  
> At 7:57 PM +0000 5/30/11, angus.obx1 wrote:
> >To one and all:
> >
> >I recently purchased a 1981 C70 with what the owner said was
> >transmission problems. After closer inspection, it seems as though
> >the problem is with the rear wheel hub. Here is the problem:
> >
> >When I run the engine, put the transmission in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd
> >gear, it makes a small attempt to move forward but then slips and
> >make a lot of rattling noise with the front and rear sprockets and
> >chain spinning amidst lots of rattling noise coming from the rear
> >wheel hub. There is also flakes of what appears to be aluminum
> >falling from the rear hub.
> >
> >Any ideas? (anybody)
> >Angus McDonald - Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
>
> It happens.
>
> Possibly...
>
> ...the rear sprocket has come off the rear drive sprocket carrier
> (nuts came off the bolt heads),
>
> ...or, the rear hub has been shattered inside and the sprocket
> carrier spins freely without engaging the hub (ribs inside the hub
> that hold the rubber drive 'cookies' have been smashed, or the
> 'fingers' that are on the sprocket carrier have been broken off),
>
> ...third possibility - the rear axle spacer on the brake drum side of
> the hub is missing, causing improper spacing on the axle (rear wheel
> shifted to the right - away from the chain), leaving the sprocket
> carrier 'unmeshed' with the hub.
>
> Take the rear wheel off and inspect the hub.
>
> I'm betting there's damage to the ribs inside and the 'cookies'
> aren't meshing with hub.
>
> Mike G.
> -
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)

1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c

More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment