Saturday, April 30, 2011

Re: [Honda-C70] C70 Shakedown Cruise

 

I would think the screw with the wing is the idle mixture, the screw in the middle of the carb would be the idle
speed screw. The wing keeps you from playing with the mixture ,complements from the EPA 
Bill
Portland OR 

From: pbsgcq <pbsgcq@yahoo.com>
To: Honda-C70@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2011 5:09 PM
Subject: Re: [Honda-C70] C70 Shakedown Cruise

 
I'm new to the group and the C70 (first Honda I think I've ever owned, too). Have already gleaned alot of info from the pages -- thanks.

I already have a kawasaki concours (1000cc) which I love, but have been looking for something simple, fun, and cheap, for my massive commute (3.7 miles each way). Thought a scooter or a CB350 or lower might do me well. Even contemplated an enduro. Anyway, saw the C70 on line and got curious.

Bought a running, but neglected 1981 for $400 clams. It was missing mirrors, had minor rust here and there, a broken speedo/od, a flat tire and bad tires, and a few minor rips in the seat, no air cleaner, and the tell-tale burnt out headlights/taillights from an old cruddy battery.

Put some new gazelles on it, new mirrors (which don't stick out far enough), new battery and bulbs, a center stand (still trying to stretch the ding dang spring!) and I'll need a blinker relay and a light for the dash (turn signals work, but don't flash -- little light for the signal comes on, but not anything to illumnate the speedo. Course, the speedo doesn't work, though I know the worm gear is fine and is turning the cable. Will find out if I can fix the top end of that. Oh, and I got hex head bolts for my petcock, float bowl, and right side controls (having a hard time getting the right size for the left). When I took off the float bowl the gasket was all stretched out so i ordered one of those, too (most everything from dratv.com). Anyway, I finally got everything put together and rode it today.

What a blast! It goes about 40 w/ my 218lb butt on it (checked against my truck), and I'm figuring out the shifting peculiarities. It does really seem to bang and lurch into gear when I down shift into first, particularly.

The banging into gear could be because it's idling way too fast. When it's in gear it idles ok, but when I shift into neutral it really races (I actually pull the choke to simmer it down!) Then once it warms up at cruising speed it has a little surge. Pulses every second just a touch.

I turned the air screw (left) all the way closed, then opened one and 1/3 turns (per the groups advice), but the screw to the right doesn't seem to do anything about lowering the idle (this is the one with the little "wing" on it so I can only turn it so far). I feel about carbs the way I feel about broadcast television and the Bermuda Triangle.

Well, sorry for the long and rather unexciting post. I did drive, (illegally) to the gas station and topped it off w/ 1/2 a gallon of gas ($436.72). I even brought a 2 1/2 gallon gas can on the back rack and filled it ($1213.48) so I could feel loaded down like a commuter in New Delhi.

I'll post some pics when I figure out how. Oh -- and I've never ever named a vehicle before, but this one is named Lulu.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
C70 Passport Not Running Right?
1970-73 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw
1970-73 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/6ebwtw (scroll to sec.7.1 page 101.jpg)
1980-83 C70 Honda Service Manual: http://tinyurl.com/hu42c
1980-81 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec.18-1 page 170.jpg)
1982-83 C70 Troubleshooting Guide:
http://tinyurl.com/hu42c (scroll to sec. 20-28 page 205.jpg)

1980-81 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/z4zn6
1982-83 C70 Maintenance Schedule: http://tinyurl.com/hw35c

More resources for C70 Passports and Cubs:
http://www.shlaes.com/Vehicles/Scooter.htm
http://www.velodrome.com/HondaC70/HondaC70.html
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment